PostgreSQL Database Administrator- Health IT
Northrop Grumman technology services sector is seeking PostgreSQL Database Administrator to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Woodlawn, MD.
Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company whose work with cutting-edge technology is driven by something human: the lives our technology protects? If so, Northrop Grumman may be the place for you. It's not the systems that drive us: it's the soldier our systems bring home. It's not just the equipment that motivates us: it's the people our equipment protects. It's not the innovation that gets us up in the morning: it's whom those innovations serve. We're united by our work to help people and protect the world. And that mission makes our team even stronger.
This is an excellent opportunity to learn, grow, and be a part of a first class organization working on complex, leading edge enterprise network security. Position is responsible for providing engineering services in support of an enterprise-wide environment in one of the Federal Government's largest civilian agency. Emphasis of the position will be on administration of PostgreSQL databases throughout the development and production lifecycles in an AWS environment
The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's Information technology support services contract for the SSA.
Description of Work:
- Administration of PostgreSQL databases throughout the development and production lifecycles in an AWS environment
- Design and develop logical and physical database designs from customer requirements
- Provide advice and support to development resources
- Provide guidance in the creation and modification of standards and procedures
- Support the current standards, policies and procedures of the customer team.
- Provide mentorship to group members and help develop and support mid and junior level staff.
- May be scheduled for after hours on-call support and will be required to apply production packages during non-peak hours.
- The selected candidate will accept other duties as directed by management.
Minimum knowledge, skills, abilities needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a related area and 10 years of professional experience
- Day-to day administration of PostgreSQL databases in AWS.
- Collaborate with development, architecture, and release teams, providing architectural design recommendations, driving standards for effective PostgreSQL transition to production operations.
- In depth knowledge of the PostgreSQL architecture.
- Drive end-to-end availability, performance monitoring, and capacity planning for PostgreSQL, using different tools.
- Implement automated methods and industry best practices for consistent installation and configuration of PostgreSQL for production and non-production environments.
- Conduct technical reviews and walkthroughs of system design documentation with development and design team members.
- Manage backup and recovery functions for a PostgreSQL data warehouse environment.
- Proactively monitor and setup alerting mechanism for both database and supporting hardware to ensure system health and maximum availability.
- Create users, establish database security, create resource queue, performance tuning in terms of query execution etc.
- Plan and coordinate system upgrades.
- Perform capacity monitoring and short and long-term capacity planning in collaboration with development resources, system administrators and system architects.
- Manage Disaster Recovery environment.
- Identify and resolve incidents and address to user problems/concerns.
- Generate reports of all processes and jobs currently running on PostgreSQL with details like users, start and end time, CPU Usage and time, Memory usage, IO Time, locking etc.
- Must be a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
- Must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance
Candidates with these skills will be given preferential consideration.
- Experience with Hadoop distribution experience, such as Hortonworks, Cloudera, MapR, etc. is a plus
- Experience working in a cloud environment like AWS/Google cloud is a plus
- Experience setting up and managing PostgreSql on AWS RDS is a plus
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top