Pilot Unmanned Aerial Veh 4
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Systems Integration, Test and Evaluation Organization (SIT&E) within the Aerospace Systems Engineering and Global Product Development (E&GPD) organization have multiple openings for qualified applicants in the area of Flight Test Aircrew.
SIT&E is responsible for manufacturing and assembly of space vehicle subsystems; assembly, integration and test of spacecraft buses and payloads; laboratory, ground and flight test of manned and unmanned aircraft; design, development and operations of aircraft System Integration Labs and both aircraft and spacecraft environmental labs; and the design and build of test instrumentation and data systems. It is our job to make sure our cutting edge products are ready to deploy to our customers and complete their missions. To this end, we employ Test Engineers, Test Conductors, Test Directors, Technicians, Design Engineers, Software Engineers, Data/Instrumentation Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, Network Engineers, System Administrators, Test Pilots, Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Pilots, Weapons/Sensor Operators, and Mission Planners at operating locations in Rancho Bernardo, Palmdale and Edwards AFB, CA; Melbourne and St Augustine, FL; Patuxent River, MD; and MISC Offsite Locations.
This requisition is for applicants interested in Flight Test Aircrew positions:
Pilot level 4 unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) during developmental test and operational flights. Typical duties include:
- Remotely pilots vehicle to determine compliance with specification and operational suitability during engineering tests and flight test/demonstration support through specifically prescribed tests and maneuvers.
- Defines plans, organizes and executes complex flight programs and flight test events.
- Conducts briefings and debriefings, and coordinates with maintenance personnel to analyze and correct vehicle discrepancies.
- Candidate may conduct demonstration flights with customers, government officials or other personnel to exhibit vehicle performance, flying qualities and system capabilities.
Position based in Palmdale, CA requiring occasional travel. Selected candidate must successfully complete training and qualification program and receive Government Flight Representative (GFR) certification as a basis for continued employment.
- BS degree in STEM plus 9 years experience in flight test engineering.
- Experience as a flight operations crew member.
- FAA commercial instrument rated pilot (or military equivalent)
- Current Class II FAA Physical or better
- Minimum of 500 hours of flight experience as Pilot in Command
- Able to maintain pilot currency.
- Current active DoD Top Secret clearance with investigation in last 5 years required
- UAV flight experience highly desirable.
- Test Pilot School graduate highly desirable.
- Military flight experience, flight test operations, multi-engine rated, FAA single engine commercial rating, aviation instructor experience also preferred.
- Current DoD Top Secret, SAP, or SCI clearance
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated mentoring and coaching skills
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to brief test results to executive leadership
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top