Opto-Mechanical Engineer 3
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems located in Redondo Beach, CA has an opening for an Opto-Mechanical Engineer 3. The selected candidate will be responsible for designing, packaging, and overall performance of a variety of opto-mechanical systems.
- Designing and integration of mechanical layouts for opto-mechanical systems
- Research and develop specifications/requirements, structural layouts and detail designs involving structural materials for optical systems
- Work heavily with optical engineers to develop layout of laser system and placement of mirrors and optical components. Will design enclosures, mirror stands, etc.
- Design packaging for optical systems for unique vehicles and applications
- Thermal and Structural analysis of designs
- Investigate design factors such as damage tolerance, durability, and structural modeling
- Details related structural assemblies, mechanisms, and devices.
- Validates conformity to design standards and specifications. Identifies design errors and other deficiencies, and recommends changes
- Develop preliminary layouts, sketches, and notes necessary to present design proposal
- Develops 3D layouts, design interfaces, and 3D detail parts utilizing CATIA V5 or UGNX
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, from an accredited institution and 5 years of mechanical design experience focused on aerospace optical systems and structures
- Masters Degree in Engineering and 3 year of mechanical design experience focused on aerospace optical systems and structures
- Experience evaluating and interpreting geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience in CAD modeling using a major software package (e.g., CATIA V5, SolidWorks, or UG-NX)
- CATIA v5 or UGNX experience is strongly preferred
- Experience with load paths and preliminary sizing
- Experience or familiarity with FEA (Finite Element Analysis)
- Experience with cost / schedule management
- Previous technical leadership experience
- Thermal analysis experience
- Active DOD Secret clearance
- Engineer with an electro-mech or structural background
- Familiarity with optical design and optical layouts
- Well rounded engineer who can do clean sheet design for a laser, work around the optics
- Work heavily with optical engineers to develop ray tracing
and turn them into real hardware, layout of laser system and where all of the mirrors and optical components will lay out design enclosures, mirror stands, telescopes
- First order thermal and structural analysis of their own design
- On a blank sheet, create the packaging for an optical system on unique vehicles and applications
- Releasing of drawings with full GD&T
- Selling point will be able to watch designs get built
- Will assist with manufacturing and procurement
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top