Northrop Grumman is seeking PDK Engineers, CAD Tool Developers/Admins, and Application Engineers!
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is actively hiring PDK Engineers, CAD Tool Developers/Admins, and Application Engineers for our Advanced Concepts & Technologies (AC&T) Organization. These positions are located just outside of Baltimore, MD at the Advanced Technology Lab (ATL) where we design, manufacture, and test semiconductor products for internal and commercial production as well as emerging programs.
Join us for the chance to work with an amazing, experienced, and talented team. We are expanding with new work on many development and production programs. If you want to work on a team where your coworkers are excited to come to work and solve problems, and where people are actively invested in their work, then Northrop Grumman’s ATL is the right place for you.
As a member of our AC&T Team at Northrop Grumman you can also effect change in how we pursue advanced technology development. If you see a better way to do things, you WILL have the opportunity to make those changes here at Northrop Grumman.
The PDK team has a revolving collection of 80 production and development processes that we support at any time, and Northrop Grumman does not silo our PDK Engineers to one program or one task. Our PDK Engineers typically work on two or more different programs at once and have the opportunity to touch all areas of PDK development within those programs.
The ideal candidate will have solid process design kit (PDK) development skillsand strong experience developing/augmenting/debugging process techfiles and design verification (DRC/LVS/PEX) rule files. Junior candidates will be able to leverage their knowledge of Cadence Virtuoso to develop solid process design kit (PDK) development skills with on the job training.
PDK Engineer Responsibilities include:
- Create & maintain PDK techfiles
- Create & maintain design verification rulefiles
- Create & maintain skill based P-Cells
- Create & maintain scripts to create CAD capabilities
- Peer review work of other PDK team members
- Create & maintain quality assurance capabilities to verify implementations
- Promote & implement best practices for PDK creation and maintenance tasks
- Create & maintain PDK documentation
CAD Tool Developers:
The Tool and Methodology Developer will be called in to lead the creation of new design flows and design capabilities by leveraging existing commercial tools, harnessing custom engineered scripts, and even working with EDA vendors on custom tools. He/she will also work closely with designers, developers, and physicists to understand what is needed and provide the appropriate support to help the team accomplish assigned goals and tasks.
The ideal candidate will have solid skills with software tools and data inputs typically used in the design of microelectronics ASICs and strong experience supporting successful design efforts that culminate in tapeouts.
CAD Tool Developer Responsibilities include:
- Define and lead the development of innovative and effective RQL (Reciprocal Quantum Logic) design flows
- Collaborate with circuit designers and PDK engineers on library development and modeling to support the tool/flow
- Understand and guide the use of configuration management
- Provide design/CAD team strong scripting capabilities in SKILL, PERL, Ocean, Linux Shell, etc.
- Interface with CAD tool vendors to prove out releases and flows, solve bugs, improve usability, etc.
- Oversee the Installation of new software and software updates and perform flow signoff
The software engineering team in our Semiconductor Foundry creates and develops cutting edge applications in an innovative and collaborative environment. The ideal candidate will have solid programming skills, strong experience with developing front end GUI-based applications with back-end databases, database experience in MySQL, and experience supporting users in a manufacturing environment.
Application Engineer Responsibilities include:
- Maintain legacy Access VBA applications and Excel VBA macros
- Create/augment/maintain newer C# applications
- Test applications written by other developers
- Report development involving data correlation between potentially multiple databases and/or files
- Support users – software usage, finding bugs, data searches
- Help facilitate the evolving needs of a microelectronics manufacturing facility
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Northrop Grumman that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Northrop Grumman.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical area (BSEE or other Engineering discipline preferred) with at least 2 years of relevant experience (or technical MS or PhD with 0 years)
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DOD security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship
PDK Engineer Basic Qualifications:
- Solid knowledge of the Cadence Virtuoso environment AND DRC/LVS/PEX within Cadence DIVA or Mentor Graphics Calibre
CAD Tool Developer Basic Qualifications:
- A working knowledge of the ASIC design flow from RTL to GDSII
- Familiarity with EDA standard formats used in cell/library development and modeling – LEF (library exchange format), DEF (design exchange format), Liberty (timing model), OA (OpenAccess), SDC (Synopsys Design Constraints)
- Proficiency with current ASIC tools
- Demonstrated ability to script capabilities within a CAD environment (Skill, Perl, Tcl, Python)
- Knowledge of configuration control and directory management within a CAD environment
Application Engineer Basic Qualifications:
- Application development experience using C# and some of these: .NET, Java, and VB6/VBA, including ODBC database communications
- Experience in SQL, stored procedures, triggers, and database design within MySQL and one of the following environments: Oracle and MS Access
- Experience with web services programming and web technologies including some of the following: HTML, CSS, XML, WSDL/SOAP
- Ability to work independently or as part of a small team and clearly communicate with both customers and co-workers
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For a complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top