Network/ Principal Network Engineer
- San Diego, CA
At the heart of Defining Possible is our commitment to missions. In rapidly changing global security environments, Northrop Grumman brings informed insights and software-secure technology to enable strategic planning. We're looking for innovators who can help us keep building on our wide portfolio of secure, affordable, integrated, and multi-domain systems and technologies that fuel those missions. By joining in our shared mission, we'll support yours of expanding your personal network and developing skills, whether you are new to the field or an industry thought-leader. At Northrop Grumman, you'll have the resources, support, and team to do some of the best work of your career.
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is a trusted provider of mission-enabling solutions for global security. Our Engineering and Sciences (E&S) organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
We are looking for you to join our team as a Network Engineer based out of San Diego, CA.
What You'll get to Do:
The Northrop Grumman Resilient Network Solutions (RNS) operating unit seeks a highly-motivated Network Engineer to join our team in San Diego, CA. Our communication systems experts develop next-generation strategic and tactical communication systems for our armed forces. Realize the rewards of conquering a new challenge in a dynamic and highly-technical working environment by joining our team of qualified, diverse individuals.
RNS network engineers design, integrate, and operate secure, military communications networks. They deliver detailed network schematics, hardware selections, and software configurations that meet performance requirements. Network engineers maintain an advanced technical understanding of TCP/IP networks and current products and technologies like routers, firewalls, and switches. They employ necessary tools and procedures to meet cyber-security requirements for sensitive/classified communications systems. Our engineers operate as part of an integrated product team to troubleshoot network problems and support various devices that use the network, including computers that run operating systems like Windows, Linux, and VMWare.
Ideal candidates for this position will have specific qualifications derived from practical experience and study. We seek networking experts that understand advanced networking features, network security, and network management. Candidates also benefit from experience with our common tools and equipment. The selected candidate should have the ability to operate as part of an engineering team, including knowledge of related disciplines, interact with senior customer organizations and personnel, and to operate with considerable independence, and to self-identify/pursue long-term interests.
See the preferred qualifications, summarized below.
This position may be filled at a different grade level based on the requirements below.
This position may be filled as a Network or Principal Network Engineer.
Basic Qualifications for Network Engineer:
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) discipline from an ABET accredited university with 2 Years or related experience; 0 years with Masters; may consider an additional 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) discipline from an ABET accredited university with 2 Years or related experience 5 Years with Bachelors in Science; 3 Years with Masters; 0 Years with PhD; may consider an additional 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- Current expertise with network design, architecture, specifications, and equipment selection.
- Expertise with IP4 network design, including IP subnetting and protocols including BGP, OSPF and EIGRP
- Expertise with network device configuration and troubleshooting (ideally, Cisco IOS/IOS-XE)
- Good understanding of advanced features like IPv6, GRE, IPSEC, IP quality-of-service, VLANs, and multicast.
- Good understanding network security features like IP access-lists and stateful protocol inspections.
- Familiar with network management protocols, like SNMP, SSH, syslog, RADIUS/TACACS
- Ability to communicate well, including proficiency with MS Office tools, including PowerPoint and Visio
- Ability to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
- A professional certification specific to the networking industry like a CCNA/CCNP/CCIE, JNCIA/JNCIE, or equivalent.
- Familiar with network management applications, like WhatsUpGold, Splunk, Solarwinds, and/or Cisco ISE.
- Familiar with Windows, Linux, and VMWare configuration and troubleshooting.
- Experience with HAIPE/TACLANE and other military COMSEC/CRYPTO equipment and procedures.
- Experience with tactical/military radio networks, like Common Data Link (CDL) and ANW2.
- Experience with (MIL) SATCOM equipment and services.
- Experience with Cisco Unified Communications / VoIP and VTC
- Experience with Cisco Modelling Labs (CML) or Virtual Internet Routing Lab (VIRL).
- Experience with wide-area service-provider technologies like MPLS and SONET
- Exposure to the Risk Management Framework, associated security controls, and STIGs.
- Active DoD Secret Clearance
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your benefits will include the following:
Paid Time Off
Training and Development
9/80 Schedule at Many Sites
Additional Northrop Grumman Information:
Northrop Grumman has approximately 90,000 employees in all 50 states and in more than 27 countries, we strive to attract and retain the best employees by providing an inclusive work environment wherein employees are receptive to diverse ideas, perspectives and talents to help solve our toughest customer challenges: to develop and maintain some of the most technically sophisticated products, programs and services in the world.
Our Values. The women and men of Northrop Grumman Corporation are guided by Our Values. They describe our company as we want it to be. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these Values. We believe that putting Our Values into practice creates long-term benefits for shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, and the communities we serve.
Our Responsibility. At Northrop Grumman, we are committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards, embracing diversity and inclusion, protecting the environment, and striving to be an ideal corporate citizen in the community and in the world.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top