Network Engineer 2 (WAN Edge)
Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company whose work with cutting-edge technology is driven by something human: the lives our technology protects? If so, Northrop Grumman may be the place for you. It's not the systems that drive us: it's the soldier our systems bring home. It's not just the equipment that motivates us: it's the people our equipment protects. It's not the innovation that gets us up in the morning: it's whom those innovations serve. We're united by our work to help people and protect the world. And that mission makes our team even stronger.
When you join Northrop Grumman, you'll have the opportunity to connect with coworkers in an environment that's uniquely caring, diverse, and respectful. Employees share experiences, insights, perspectives, and creative solutions with some of the best minds in the industry. We collaborate through integrated product teams, cross-functional teams, and employee resource groups, while thriving through the support of training and development, mentors and every day coaching, along with extensive health and work/life benefits. We're committed to our employees' professional and personal development and success.
Northrop Grumman recruits top talent with traditional and non-traditional backgrounds in order to ensure our team is united, connected, skilled, focused and innovative. An inclusive workplace of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives is the key to our performance. At Northrop Grumman, we want our employees to bring their whole self to work. All your different sides are welcome here, as we believe they make our team, our products and our services, that much better.
Northrop Grumman Technology Services is seeking a Network Engineer 2 (WAN Edge) who will support several projects a large federal agency. These positions will be located in Woodlawn, MD.
The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's Health Systems Management operating unit, which focuses on Healthcare IT solutions for our Federal, State, and Local government clients. The qualified candidate should also have strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills with a keen attention to detail.
This position may require from 10% to 20% travel to various domestic customer locations.
Description of Work:
- Provides technical analysis in data network planning, engineering, and design for large multi-data center enterprise network with over 1,700 remote locations.
- Provides analysis for implementation techniques and tools for the most efficient solution to network problems.
- Architect wide area networks, tracks significant problems, monitors performance, and provide upgrades recommendation to hardware and software as required.
- Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, multiplexes, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc.
- Coordinates third-party maintenance for network equipment and troubleshoots problems with department users and department network administrators.
- Develop uniform operation procedures to maintain and update configuration and operating system of the networking equipment.
- Works under consultative direction with the customer and peer toward predetermined long-range goals and objectives. Assignments are often self-initiated.
- Develops advanced technological ideas and guides their development into a final product.
- Determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications.
Basic Qualifications for a Network Engineer 2 (WAN Edge):
Minimum knowledge, skills, abilities needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Network Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Systems, or similar IT degrees and 2 years of relative experience; Master's degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Network Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Systems, or similar IT degrees.
- Must have active Cisco System Certified Networking Professional certification.
- Minimum of 2 Years of experience with cloud services (ideally AWS).
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience with of Wide Area Network traffic engineering tools and implementation.
- Minimum of 6 months Quality of Service (QoS) for the enterprise networks or service provider networks
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical topics to management and non-technical audiences, as well as interface with the customer on a daily basis
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency required in order to obtain and maintain required Position of Public Trust Clearance
Candidates with these skills will be given preferential consideration.
- Hands-on experience with scripting languages such as Python and Expect
- Hands-on experience with Service Provider Network equipment
- Experience with wide area network technologies and Service Provider and Local Exchange Carrier circuits.
- Experience with scripting PERL.
- Hands on experience with Cisco networks
- Knowledge of Wide Area Network technologies
- Knowledge of Local Area Network technologies such as Ethernet, wireless LAN as well as the physical media and equipment associated with each
- Knowledge of IP routing protocols and implementations
- Understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, and distributed networks).
- Understanding of network traffic encryptions algorithm and data protecting mechanisms.
- Understanding of network connectivity for physical and virtualized servers and Public/Private Cloud Services
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top