Mission Payload Systems Engineer
- Redondo Beach, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Strategic Space Systems Division (SSSD) is an industry-leading provider for launch systems capabilities serving national security, military, civil and commercial customers. We are built on a heritage of providing innovative, affordable and reliable aerospace and defense products that our customers rely on to achieve mission success. Join the Space revolution and make the impossible, possible.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking a Mission Payload Systems Engineer to work in Redondo Beach, California.
The Mission Payload Systems Engineer will support architecture trades, design analysis, requirement thread, segment interface development and ownership, and performance modeling through computer simulation. This individual will provide systems engineering support to hardware developments for space, and ground systems utilizing state-of-the-art optical (sensing, communications, directed energy),RF, digital and microelectronics. Project roles span all phases of product development cycle, from new business acquisition, and IRAD/ technology development to established programs delivering integrated hardware and software systems. Systems engineering activities include system architecture design, trade studies, specification development, requirement definition and allocation, performance analysis and simulation; system modeling and simulation tool development, payload product development, support to hardware design, subcontract leadership, management and selection, manufacturing, integration and test, and operations.
Essential experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Overhead Infrared (OPIR) system
- Sensor design
- Remote sensing
- High energy laser systems
- Lasercom systems
- Spacecraft system design
- Image processing
- RF and digital hardware design
- Signal detection and estimation
- Bachelors of Science degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) field from an accredited institution and 2 years of engineering experience in an aerospace environment OR a Master's Degree in an STEM related field.
- Experience with remote sensing, Space Situational Awareness (SSA), communications or directed energy
- Experience designing, integrating, testing and operating optical and RF systems
- Candidate must have and be able to maintain an active U.S. Government security clearance at the Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years, OR must have and be able to maintain an active U.G. Government SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within the last 5 years.
- Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science
- Candidates have completed relevant coursework in optics, lasercom, and DSP
- Experience with baseband and IR sensors, high energy lasers, and remote sensing
- Possesses strong leadership qualities, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills
Back to top