Mission Operations Engineer, Staff
- Dulles, VA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
This position is for a full-time senior-level technical and management role located in Dulles VA. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Be capable of leading a diverse team of engineers/operators
- Provide mission operations support to NGSS Satellite programs.
- Support system development activities such as requirements management, architecture development, integration and test and formal program milestones.
- Work with systems engineers to develop operational documentation for use during on-orbit checkout and commissioning of satellites.
- Conduct testing using simulators and resolve discrepancies.
- Develop and test command procedures, telemetry pages, and other products derived from vendor provided documentation
- Develop test procedures and test execution for system level, end-to-end tests with the spacecraft.
- Support mission readiness activities including mission rehearsals, mission timeline development, and post launch test development.
- Support launch, including shift work, for instrument and spacecraft LEO&A activities.
- Monitor vehicle state of health across all subsystems.
- Perform short and long-term telemetry trending.
- Track space vehicle configuration, to include both hardware, software, and configurable item parameters.
- Support anomaly resolution efforts.
- Make modifications to existing operations procedures to incorporate lessons learned from in-flight performance. Develop new procedures as required.
- Provide status reporting through both the functional and program reporting branches.
- Provide support to multiple programs.
- Maintain standards associated with the established Integrated/Developmental Operations functional group processes.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to the mission operations team.
- Support internal and external customer meetings through proficient verbal and documented (MS PowerPoint, MS Word, MS Excel) communications.
- May require shift work and travel ~ 10% of the time for simulation and launch support.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering or related discipline and 14 years' experience; 12 years with Masters; 9 years with PhD
- Ability to work within, task, and manage a group of diversified individuals with varying backgrounds to achieve mission success.
- Experience with launch campaigns and spacecraft operations
- Prior experience conducting on-orbit mission operations and resolving satellite and ground system anomalies.
- Experience with at least one S/C Subsystem (ADCS, CDH, COMM, EPDS, Thermal, FSW)
- Support of readiness activities to include; Mission Readiness Tests (MRTs), Mission Rehearsals (MRs), Day In The Life (DITL) and daily operations testing.
- System design experience including the development of system design documents
- Experience writing technical documents for external customers
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills, including ability to make persuasive presentations to external customers at milestone reviews
- MS degree
- Experience working on government systems and/or government process environment
- Prior experience with either the Northrop Grumman ESPAStar or ESPASat satellite platforms.
- Current Active Security Clearance (TS/SCI) or ability to obtain security clearance is a plus
- Prior experience with virtualized deployment of LINUX based ground control software onto a ground system infrastructure
- Experience with MAESTRO command and control software
- Familiarity with setting up and creating training and certification program for operators
Back to top