Mgr Mechanical Engineering 2
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has a Section Manager opening for the Mechanical Design Team. This part time role is located at our Redondo Beach facility in the greater Los Angeles area, and is part of the Vehicle Structures Department. The group's charter is to maintain and evolve capabilities in air and space vehicle structure design that will continue to enable innovative solutions for our mission architectures.
This Functional Manager position is responsible for providing leadership and management support to a section consisting of between 10 to 20 engineering leads and individual contributors. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, organized, independently directed with good problem solving skills, able to perform effectively despite concurrent work tasks and will possess strong communication, leadership, and team building skills. Travel, both domestic and international, up to 10% may be required for this role.
As a Functional Section Manager (SM) reporting to the Department Manager within the Vehicle Structures (VS) Department in the Space Park Center of Excellence, approximately 15% of the SM's time will be spent performing leadership, people management, and supervisory duties such as management of personnel (direction & coaching), program/project reviews, coordination of job assignments, staffing, recruiting, hiring, timecard approval, performance reviews, and process improvement activities. In addition, the individual will support technology and business development activities, proposals, and design reviews. The balance of the time (85%) is expected to be spent supporting direct programs.
Responsibilities include leading a team of 10-20 people who provide design support to a variety of space and air programs. Specific responsibilities include technical and managerial leadership, problem solving, business support/budget management, hiring/staffing, and other functional activities. The successful candidate is expected to spend his/her time managing the team as well as working directly on a variety of space vehicle technical programs.
The successful candidate must have experience working with diverse technical teams, and must also be experienced with the design, assembly and/or test of flight hardware.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) from an ABET accredited university
- Minimum 5 years of professional engineering experience
- Ability to travel within the US and Internationally
- SCI security clearance required
- Master's degree in Engineering
- Prior technical and subcontracts management experience, along with a track record of leading a highly skilled team and suppliers in the design and integration phases of space vehicle systems within schedule, labor and material cost requirements is preferred.
- Prior management and cost account management experience including EVMS
- Experience with the design, development, and implementation of spacecraft structures and associated subsystems.
- Experience with flight hardware acceptance and or qualification testing and documentation is preferred.
- Prior experience as an IPT Lead or the ability to execute as an IPT Lead.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top