Mgr Mechanical Engineering 2
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history. Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Manager Mechanical Engineering 2 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Azusa, CA.
This position is for a Section Manager supporting the NGC MCS Hardware Engineering department in Azusa, CA. The Mechanical Design Section Manager is responsible for both functional management and technical supervision of a mechanical design engineering group in Azusa, CA.
This is a hybrid role balancing program technical demands and people management. Functional responsibilities include: ensuring the people, processes, and tools are in place to meet program cost, schedule, and technical performance requirements. The manager is responsible for staffing decisions, training, employee development, performance evaluation, compensation decisions, employee career development, and corrective or disciplinary actions when required. In the functional role, the section manager reports directly to the Director of Hardware Engineering.
Technical responsibilities include: technical oversight of the mechanical design of spaced qualified hardware and systems. Areas of aptitude include: The successful candidate will manage the engineering activities of approximately 15 Mechanical and/or Aerospace Engineers. The Section Manager is responsible for design product integrity, process adherence, staffing, training and tools. Specific responsibilities include mechanical design and process oversight, participation in the performance review process, management of personnel records and participation in corrective or disciplinary actions. Staffing responsibilities may include hiring, reduction in force actions, recruiting of personnel and working to ensure that engineers with the appropriate skills and experience are deployed. The ability to manage training opportunities and budget allocations, as well as participation in tool, process, and metric initiatives is required. The Section Manager will also perform IPT Mechanical and/or System Design leadership tasks, which will comprise the majority of the candidate statement of work.
Team engagement and diversity characterize a key focus of fostering best culture for our employees. The ability to mentor, provide career guidance and coaching, and to lead others is required. The ideal candidate should be a strong communicator with the ability to connect to direct reports on multiple levels.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Physics from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience designing and/or analyzing, testing and trouble-shooting spacecraft and/or payload assemblies and mechanisms.
- Leadership experience in a product development environment.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university.
- 12 years of spacecraft design experience, including clean sheet of paper design.
- Experience working with space qualified hardware
- Ability to master use of various design tools and to teach others how to properly and efficiently use them.
- Proven track record in developing solutions to difficult problems that are rigorous, innovative, affordable, and consistent with program objectives.
- Coordinates through clear communication with other disciplines.
- Able to produce concise presentation and explanation of design issues/solutions to internal management and customer representatives.
- Able to evaluate engineering products for conformity to standards, procedures, and specifications.
- Experience with layout sizing, and drawing integrity evaluations to include:
- Bill of materials
- Mechanical assembly design and modeling
- Mechanical assembly conceptual design
- Mechanical assembly design validation and verification
- Top Secret clearance is preferred
- A strong background in clean-sheet design and layout is preferred.
- Prior management/leadership position is highly desired.
- Track record in promoting diversity and inclusion promoting a high-engagement work environment
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top