Mgr Electrical Engineering 1
Working in Northrop Grumman Mission System Sector means making a direct contribution to mission projects that keep our homeland safe, expanding the boundaries of possibility and reshaping the world we live in.
The Engineering, Manufacturing, and Sciences (EM&S) Organization is seeking an engineering functional manager (Engineering Manager 1) with a background as an RF/Wireless engineer for a team of up to 20 engineers. She/he will provide guidance to direct report employees based on organizational goals and company policies. Specific responsibilities include coordinating with programs for staffing, recruiting, training, preparing and delivering performance reviews to employees, evaluating/recommending employees for promotions, evaluating salaries and coordinating with Human Resources on potential adjustments, assisting employees in preparing performance goals, providing career guidance to employees and counseling employees on their performance as necessary as well as working to refine the hardware development process and tools utilized for programs.
The qualified candidate will also provide significant (approximately 80%) direct engineering/technical support to programs and/or other technical efforts, including capture and proposals. This may include but is not limited to engineering design efforts, estimating, planning, risk management, managing cost and schedule (EVMS) and quality on programs to meet contract commitments.
The position is located our Rancho Carmel facilities in north county San Diego. Our facility boasts of a friendly, casual work environment, on-site cafeteria and a fitness center, on-site cafeteria. In addition, this site follows a 9/80 workweek schedule for most positions (including this position).
This candidate is expected to be both a functional as well as a technical leader for the company. A great attitude, ability to communicate well with others and being objective are all must-have qualities the applicant must possess.
- Ability to effectively manage both their functional responsibilities as well as their own technical projects, programs, and other design responsibilities.
- Overseeing and executing daily operations of a team or work unit (direct supervision of the staff, assignment of work, schedules, day to day workflow, and operating costs).
- Day-to-day operations, engineering management, strategic planning and program and personnel management for a collection of related government contracts
- Provides direction to subordinates using established policies and precedents.
- Monitors work operations of exempt and/or non-exempt employees on a daily basis and actively assists or provides direction to subordinates as required.
- May perform, especially in staff or professional groups, on-going operational tasks of organizational groups.
- Executes department procedures that typically affect individual employees within own department.
- BS in appropiate engineering disclipline, 5 or more years of experience, and significant direct experience in Hardware Engineering
- Experience leading a technical team
- Experience managing cost, schedule, and technical performance
- Candidate must have been involved in requirements development, system designs, implementation and/or test
- Direct experience as a functional leader for an organization
- Experience in program planning, risk management, configuration management and technical oversight of engineering services, software block cycle updates, Diminishing Manufacturing Sources (DMS) Form, Fit and Function (FFF) hardware re-design and production government contracts
- Experience or exposure to proposal development
- Experience interfacing with customers
- Exposure to Earned Value Management System (EVMS)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top