Mechanical/Structural Analysis Engineer / Principal Mechanical/Structural Analysis Engineer - 2/3 - Top Secret (Space Systems)
- Dulles, VA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they are making history.
Northrop Grumman Space designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The Tactical Space Systems Division is seeking an entry to mid-level Mechanical/Structural Analysis Engineer to assist an experienced team of mechanical engineers performing mechanical and structural analysis on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems.
This position is located in Dulles, VA.
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Performing static and dynamic structure analysis.
- Reviewing requirements for materials, structure systems & subsystems.
- Selecting appropriate technical information and data from applicable products.
- Determining the technical principles involved, identifying the design path forward and computing the engineering characteristics to ensure consistency with the specifications design needs and requirements of space applications.
- Releasing results as "technical documents" after review by the senior members of the team.
- Developing innovative solutions and elaborating on design concepts.
- Evaluating completed designs with supervisor and other technical groups, and making modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
- Developing, coordinating, and conducting test programs required to evaluate design work.
This position can be filled at the Mechanical/Structural Engineer 2 and/or Principal Mechanical/Structural Engineer 3 level.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
Mechanical/Structural Engineer 2: Bachelor's degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineer, Math or related area (Mechanical Engineering or Degrees with a focus in Structural Analysis highly preferred) and 2+ years of experience or Master's Degree and 0+ years
Principal Mechanical/Structural Engineer 3: Bachelor's degree in STEM - Science, Technology, Engineer, Math or related area (Mechanical Engineering or Degrees with a focus in Structural Analysis highly preferred) and 5+ years of experience or Master's Degree and 3+ years
- Active Top Secret clearance.
- Ability to perform structural engineering tasks associated with analysis, design, and/or testing of structures.
- Experience with at least one of the following Mechanical Analysis tools such as NX FEMAP/NASTRAN, ABAQUS, HYPERMESH. (Equivalent spacecraft structural analysis tools may be considered on a case by case basis).
- Top Secret/SCI
- Experience with spacecraft or subsystem static/dynamic testing
- Experience utilizing MATLAB
Back to top