Mechanical Testing Technician 3
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Performs a variety of Technical Processes, Procedures, Tests in any of the following areas; Production, Research and Development, Quality, Engineering, Qualification, Audit, Compliance. Compiles test and research data in conformance with Northrop Grumman and our customer's policies, procedures, standards and work instructions. Always assuring the data and testing is high quality, accurate, reliable and complete. Interfaces with Internal and External Customers as a professional and with respect to discuss work instruction requirements, testing process, procedure, results, set up.
Day to day activities include but are not limited to:
- Side by side testing with Lab Personnel, peers, supervision
- Independent testing
- Personal training from Lab Personnel, peers, engineering, customers, Northrop Grumman Training Group
- Ensure safety, quality, reliability in all aspects and functions in the Lab
- Communicate verbally and electronically with customers, peers, management, visitors, etc.
- Prepare and fabricate test samples and specimens by; Layup and vacuum bag of raw materials, i.e., prepreg composite, carbon, graphite, glass etc.
- Cured sample preparation and processing; tab bonding, machining (hand tools, wet saw, wet machine center, etc.)
- Use and operate fixtures, tooling, facilities, equipment, mix and apply adhesives
- Inspect and measure specimens using standard measuring instruments, i.e., calipers micrometers weight scales, etc.
- Operate mechanical load frames and accessories
- Use computer tools such as word, excel, internal software and programs and purchased software
- 3 years of experience in a Mechanical Testing environment required
- Ability to read, understand, define and discuss procedures, specifications and work instructions
- Proficient in the use of a mechanical load test frame, fixtures, tooling and related software
- Ability to stand and work for extended periods of time, lift and pull small and large tools and samples
- Pass and maintain job specific requirements and certifications
- May be required to perform handling and use of hazardous and/or regulated materials and compounds
- Ability and willingness to share and implement change and improvements and pre acquired knowledge and experience
- Create and review test procedures and methods
- Able to function and use US and Metric systems
- Good organization skills and ability to work productively as a TEAM member
- Problem solving desire and skills
- Ability to use and perform simple and complex mathematical and physics equations
- Must be able to work shifts other than day shift when needed
- Must be able to work flexible and changing shift schedules
- Must be able to work overtime as business need requires
- High School Diploma or equivalent GED (education will be verified)
Preferred Skills Qualifications:
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Knowledge of electricity, electronics, computer hardware
- Familiar with strain, modulus and displacement and displacement measuring devises (LVDT, Deflectometers, Extensometers)
- Perform minor test equipment repairs
- Fabricate and/or repair cables, terminal boxes
- Good mechanical and common sense skills
- Knowledge and ability to perform physical, chemical and thermal testing
Competencies for Success:
- Positive individual who iswilling to expand current skill set, through schooling and training
- Strong interpersonalcommunication skills with ability to work with others at all levels of the organization
- Strong attention to detail andaccuracy
- Ability to multitask andprioritize
- Ability to work independently
- Able to solve problems
- Willingness to meet customerneeds
- Ability to work in a dynamic,fast paced, diverse environment
- Initiative, self-starter,adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- High energy, results oriented, self-motivated / self-reliant, team player
- Ability to work independentlywith little or no supervision after training is complete
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top