Mechanical Technician 4 - Environmental Test
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Systems Integration Test & Evaluation (SIT&E) directorate has an opening for a Mechanical Test Technician to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach CA.
The Mechanical Technician for the Research & Development Test Organization performs a variety of duties assisting mechanical engineers in the development of mechanical and electromechanical engineering designs, tests, fabrications, modifications, assemblies and components. Typical duties include:
- Operation of thermal vacuum chambers and the associated equipment such as (not limited to): rough, boost, turbo molecular and cryogenic pumps. ION and convection gauges.
- Utilize convection, conduction and radiative methods of heating and cooling energy transfer. Install, fabricate and trouble shoot thermal couples.
- Hook up basic electrical circuits as related to heating used in thermal vacuum, chambers.
- Perform helium leak detection and basic plumbing.
- Work safely with liquid nitrogen both as a coolant and as an oxygen displacement gas.
- Utilize computers and software to control, data acquisition, Excel and Word.
- Program and operation of temperature control and thermal data acquisition systems
- Basic Electronic skills (AC/DC/resistance measurements
Operate under the protocols within clean room.
- Able to work off hours and weekends
- AA or other 2-year technical degree plus 6 years' experience as a mechanical technician OR High School diploma plus 10 years' relevant experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Security clearance
- 5 Years experience in thermal vacuum testing
- Experience utilizing Word and Excel for post data processing
- Thermal test experience
- Active in-scope DoD Secret or Top Secret clearance
- Experience with valves, pumps, fans, solenoid valves, liquid nitrogen and other thermal vacuum technology
- Operation of fast transition thermal cycle chambers
- Understanding and setup of low oxygen thermal test chambers
- Familiar with vibration testing:
- Instrumentation w/accelerometers
- Setup of vibration fixtures
- Operation of electrodynamics shakers
- Operation of vibration control systems
- Sine, random, classical shock tests.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top