Mechanical Engineer- Thermal and Analysis
- Dulles, VA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon.
We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they are making history. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems, satellites and associated space components and services, and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman is seeking an entry in both Mechanical/Structural Analysis Engineer and Thermal Engineer to assist an experienced team of mechanical engineers to perform mechanical and structural analysis on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems.
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Performing static and dynamic structure analysis. Reviewing requirements for materials, structure systems & subsystems.
- Selecting appropriate technical information and data from applicable products.
- Determining the technical principles involved, identifying the design path forward and computing the engineering characteristics to ensure consistency with the specifications design needs and requirements of space applications.
- Releasing results as "technical documents" after review by the senior members of the team.
- Developing innovative solutions and elaborating on design concepts.
- Evaluating completed designs with supervisor and other technical groups, and making modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
- Developing, coordinating, and conducting test programs required to evaluate design work.
•Enrolled in or having received an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college/university majoring in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Aerospace Engineering (AE), or a related STEM degree.
•Ability to perform structural engineering tasks associated with design, manufacturing, and testing of structures.
•Possess an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher
•Be eligible to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite)
•Ability to perform structural engineering tasks associated with analysis, design, and/or testing of structures.
Preferred Qualifications for Analysis:
•Demonstrated leadership experience, preferably on university sponsored design projects or clubs.
•Experience with spacecraft or subsystem static/dynamic testing
•Experience utilizing MATLAB
• Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
•Experience with at least one of the following Mechanical Analysis tools: NX FEMAP/NASTRAN, ABAQUS, HYPERMESH. (Equivalent spacecraft structural analysis tools may be considered on a case by case basis).
Preferred Qualifications for Thermal:
•Experience Performing Thermal Vacuum Testing .
•Experience with Thermal Desktop & SINDA or equivalent spacecraft thermal analysis tools.
•Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
•Prior internship or research experience in related field
•Proficiency in Microsoft office suite
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top