Mechanical Engineer Design
- Works on a variety of complex design tasks with minimum supervision. Conceives design concepts for spacecraft mechanical/structural systems and translates the concepts into mechanical and/or fabrication drawings. Performs geometrical layout studies, sizing calculations and generates mechanical drawings representing designs that satisfy all requirements. Depending on area of assignment, provides design support for flight hardware, GSE and test fixtures required for performance of large-scale static loads, acceleration, vibration/acoustic and thermal vacuum test of flight payloads. Interfaces with the customer and vendors to complete the requirements.
2. May also perform other duties associated within area of assignment as directed by lead personnel or management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. May also perform temporary duties in other areas or other duties associated with area of assignment.
NATURE OF POSITION CHALLENGES
1. Ability to adapt to weekend and holiday support on short notice and extended hours as required.
1. Works under the direct supervision of lead personnel or technical supervisor.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
1. Does not normally provide direct supervision to others unless assigned as a lead. Lead personnel are responsible for providing technical direction and organizing workload.
1. Assignments must be completed using available allocated resources in a timely manner to meet project cost and schedule requirements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
1. Minimum of 7 years' experience in field (or 5 years of direct NASA related experience) is required or similar position complexity as determined by management.
2. BS in Mechanical engineering, Aerospace engineering or Physics or a related degree from accredited university.
3. Experience in the design of aerospace, aircraft, related hardware, or environmental test fixtures. Background must include specific design experience with layout or piece part drawings.
4. Proficiency in CREO and Windchill is required and familiarity with other software programs / packages is a plus. Must be able to work with large models and have experience with NASA requirements and the ability to implement that knowledge into drawings.
5. Experience working with and understanding Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is required.
6. Experience with fabrication methods for parts and how to incorporate the machinability into the parts. Must be experienced considering cost trade-offs' as an option when working with designs; including material selection, fabrication, and assembly.
7. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions from lead engineering or management.
8. Ability to use own judgment and decisions to allow continuity of work flow.
9. Must be self-motivated and a Team Player with good interpersonal and communication skills,
10. Must be able to organize time, assignments and properly prioritize efforts for maximum effectiveness.
11. Must be capable of passing required physical examinations and successfully completing assigned training or other required training or certifications as directed by ETIS management.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
1. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
a. Ability to work for long periods of at a computer terminal generating mechanical design package.
b. Ability to use hearing and vision protection and respiratory equipment
c. Lift and carry items up to 35 pounds.
d. Ability to distinguish eight-color panel display.
1.Accept and work within established policies and procedures pertaining to company rules and regulations.
EQUIPMENT AND MACHINES INVOLVED IN WORK TASK
Desktop computers utilizing Microsoft Office Suite software including Word and Excel.
CRITICALITY OF ATTENDANCE
Regular daily attendance and reporting on-time is required to maintain shift effectiveness. Overtime (Holidays, Weekends, Scheduled and Unscheduled) and Shift Work may be required.
Bachelors Degree & 2 years experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top