Northrop Grumman Corporation is offering a challenging and rewarding career as a Mechanical Engineer within the Mission Systems Sector located at the Rolling Meadows - Illinois facility.
This position will support the development, build, and test validation of ruggedized electronic equipment for military applications. The candidate will work within the Mechanical & Optical Technology organization. It is a high performing organization that values its employees and has a strong sense of purpose tied to the vision of Northrop Grumman: To be the most trusted provider of systems and technologies that ensure the security and the freedom of our nation and its allies. The candidate will be able to grow personally and professionally in an ethical and inclusive environment, while being an important part of a great team.
The team is seeking a mechanical engineer to apply and expand their experience in hardware design, analysis, documentation, and integration of electro-mechanical systems.
Strong communication skills are required for success in all phases of the role. The engineer will serve on engineering teams, interfacing heavily with other mechanical engineers and analysts, as well as engineers from related disciplines, program management, manufacturing, and supply chain.
The engineer will be exposed to multiple subjects within the mechanical engineering discipline such as: opto-mechanical design, thermal and structural analysis, mechanism design, printed wiring board design, material selection, metal fabrication techniques, support to build/integration, and environmental testing. These skills will be applied at all phases of the product life cycle, including requirements analysis, concept definition, detailed design, production, and test. The engineer will be expected to present their design solutions and analysis during internal and external design reviews, document the design through drawing generation and release, provide factory and supplier support, and support change incorporations.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in hardware development with exposure to electronics packaging or a Masters degree in a technical field with limited or no experience
- Exposure to 3D CAD Tools (Siemens NX is preferred) and product data management tools
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organization skills with ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Detail oriented with enthusiasm for continual learning
- Ability to work in a team environment
- U. S. citizen with the ability to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with a minimum of 1 year of experience in ruggedized electronic packaging for military applications
- Demonstrated experience with 3D CAD Tools (Siemens NX preferred) and Finite Element Modeling (ANSYS)
- Working knowledge of military and commercial process specifications
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing and its application
- Experience in design, manufacturing, and integration of electronic assemblies including appropriate material selections and use of off the shelf components
- Understanding of the standard product development lifecycle
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top