Northrop Grumman is an aerospace, defense, and commercial products company with operations in over 21 states, Puerto Rico, and internationally. Northrop Grumman delivers affordable innovation in developing and manufacturing highly engineered products and solutions to US Government and International customers. Northrop Grumman Armament Systems Division based in Mesa, Arizona produces automatic medium caliber gun systems. Northrop Grumman gun systems built for the U.S. and international militaries have been used in all major conflicts since World War II in a variety of applications to include small and large ground vehicles, helicopters, airplanes and naval ships.
- The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for electromechanical design new and mature medium caliber weapon systems.
- Applies mechanical design experience to ensure design of gun systems and associated components meet design standards for function, fit and safety.
- Works with design, project manufacturing and quality engineers though the development process
- Key contributor on development programs, managing assigned responsibilities and directing the work of other engineers, technicians and administrative personnel to accomplish program goals.
- Adheres and maintains Northrop Grumman's engineering process to include concept through production design and design standards
- Mechanical modeling (CAD - computer aided design), NX preferred.
- Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews, proposals, or other technical meetings.
- Reviews engineering designs and drawings for tolerances, surface finishes, dimensions, material selection, processing, heat treat etc, and initiates Engineering Change Orders as required.
- Applies engineering knowledge in the investigation and solution of complex technical problems.
- Preparation and planning of cost estimates and written technical proposals.
- Act as the technical interface to external customers, and form working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations
- Develop technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements, testing, and process control
- Support manufacturing trade studies and early supplier involvement
- Provides leadership and shares knowledge with other engineers
- Works with under very little supervision.
- BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 2 Years with BS; 0 Years with Masters of directly related mechanical design experience.
- Experience in product development projects and sustainment of legacy programs for complex aerospace or defense systems
- Strong mechanical design experience with complex gear trains, cams, springs, clutches, machined components, welded structures, electric motors and solenoids
- Familiarity with systems engineering processes and other specialty engineering activities within the product development process
- Working knowledge of computer aided design (CAD) software and configuration management tools, preferably NX and Teamcenter, and familiarity with engineering requirements and analysis tools (FEA)
- Trained Knowledge of GD&T
- Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications.
- Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
- Ability and experience with presenting complex technical concepts to audiences with a broad range of technical experience
- U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
- Position may require domestic and international travel
- This position requires an individual who can multi-task, with effective time-management and communication skills.
- This position requires excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills.
Back to top