Mechanical Engineer 4 - Structural
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Northrop Grumman that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Northrop Grumman.
This position will support the development, build, and test validation of ruggedized electronic equipment for military applications. The primary function is to perform structural design and analysis of airborne military electronic equipment from component level through "black box" to the installed platform. Designs vary from external stores to processors and 4-axis gimbaled turrets. As the Structural Subject Matter Expert, the incumbent will utilize their experience in advanced structural design of internal and external aircraft environments using state-of-the-art techniques and integrating the latest materials to optimize strength, stiffness-to-weight ratios, resonant frequency, and cost while meeting all performance requirements including the use of COTS components in a military environment. As part of an integrated product team, the incumbent will work on proposal inputs for new efforts, participate in design reviews for both internal and external customers and coordinate efforts to assure timely completion of program requirements. As a senior level contributor, this position will have an important role in mentoring less experienced design engineers.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 9 years of experience or a Master's degree in a technical field with 7 years of experience.
- Minimum of 7 years' experience in electronic packaging design and/or analysis.
- Must have demonstrated technical expertise in CAD software tools. For example, NX, CREO, Solidworks, etc.
- Must have demonstrated technical expertise in one or more tools such as ANSYS as well as NX, ANSYS LS-Dyna, ANSYS Rigid Dynamics, CFDesign, CFX, Icepak and Mathcad or similar tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and ability to work in an integrated product team environment (IPT).
- Prior experience mentoring junior level engineers
- U.S. citizen and ability to obtain security clearance –Secret
- Master's in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Current Security clearance- Secret
- Expertise in multiple tools such as NX, ANSYS, ANSYS LS-Dyna, ANSYS Rigid Dynamics, CFDesign, Fluent, CFX, Icepak and Mathcad or similar tools.
- Experience in flexible body, rigid body, modal, Power Spectral Density as well as static and transient thermal analyses would be helpful.
- Experience in environmental testing such as Sine Sweep, Random Vibration, Temperature/Vibration, Shock, Acceleration or similar.
- A strong team player who also has the ability to work independently
- A high degree of creativity and ability to solve a wide range of difficult problems
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For a complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top