Mechanical Design Engineering Manager
Mechanical Design Engineering Manager (MDEM)
Adaptive Optics Associates - Xinetics (AOX), a Northrop Grumman Space Systems (NGSS) Strategic Business Venture, is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineering Manager for our growing Special Programs organization located in East Hartford CT.
Northrop Grumman's AOA Xinetics (AOX) is a leader in developing mission critical electro-optical and opto-mechanical systems. Across its three Business Areas: Xinetics, Image Metrology and Special Programs from two locations Devens MA and East Hartford, CT. AOX designs, manufactures and services optical & photonic solutions worldwide. AOX customers are the U.S. Government, industrial customers, as well as U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy and defense ISR & Directed Energy programs. AOX has substantial growth opportunities in support of many U.S. Government and NGSS's business initiatives.
Reporting to the Manager of Special Programs Design Engineering, the successful Mechanical Design Engineering Manager (MDEM) will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills to achieve sustainable top performance, be an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. You will demonstrate a commitment to ethics and integrity, the capability to innovate, ability to build diverse and inclusive teams with high levels of engagement, including mentoring and coaching; you will demonstrate a broad skill set that is balanced between technical expertise, business and interpersonal skills.
This position is a dual role encompassing both people and project/technical leadership.
- Directly contribute and lead a Mechanical Engineering Design functional team of 10 to 15 engineers
- Provide general management, motivation, guidance, and support to assigned staff including performance management, career development, staffing, and merit planning
- Provide project and technical oversight for design activities performed by the team
- Maintain and/or enhance application of design processes, guidelines and procedures
- Support proposal input and review content for both internal and external customers
- Collaborate with peer managers to ensure consistency across multiple engineering discipline work groups
- Support departmental initiatives, recruiting, technology roadmap creation and cross-business area/sector involvement
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Engineering/Technical Degree (e.g. Opto-Mechanical)
- Minimum 3 years' experience in a supervisory/management role, including technical leadership and performance/career development
- 10+ years of mechanical design engineering knowledge and expertise (e.g. complex technical designs, conceiving technical design solutions, creating/designing systems models, and required analysis
- Demonstrated success leading high performance teams as a technical functional leader
- Proven leadership skills as a people and technical leader, and ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Advanced SOLIDWORKS skills (or similar 3D engineering modeling software)
- US Citizenship is a requirement for employment and must have the ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance
- Master's degree in Engineering, Engineering Management/Leadership
- Active DoD Top Secret Clearance (TS/SSBI or TS/SCI)
- Experience working in a Defense Industry/Defense Contractor environment
- E xperience with a dvanced opto-mechanical, electro-optics, optic/optical R&D design, creation/modeling and prototyping
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top