Mechancial Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals located in Melbourne FL
This position will be developing solutions that require mechanical design of test, measurement, and handling equipment. Expectations will be that a candidate will analyze data, have direct contact with suppliers, be responsible for manufacturing liaison, develop and finalize test specifications and integration, and equipment sell-off. Applicant will have experience in the preparation, interpretation, and basic analysis of pneumatic, hydraulic, and electrical schematics. Additionally, candidate will be responsible for schedule and budget for projects.
Candidate will be able to apply extensive technical expertise and have full knowledge of other related disciplines. They will be able to communicate effectively and clearly present technical approaches and findings. It is expected that a successful candidate will develop technical solutions to complex problems. Work will be performed without appreciable direction, and the candidate will exercise considerable latitude in determining the technical objectives of the tasking assigned. The candidate will guide a project to completion, and may function as the project lead. They will represent the organization, interact with leadership, and be responsible for planning, execution, and status of the project. Communication will be expected to intra organizations and outside contacts on routine matters.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Mechanical design of parts, assemblies, subsystems, and systems, including 3D Nx modeling, drawing drafting/review/revision/release, selection of components and materials
- Coordination and management of multi-disciplinary aspects of product design, including cabling, interconnects, power, and electromagnetic interference
- design and develop technical solutions to complex from a complex set requirements
- As a team member collaboration with other functional areas to facilitate various aspects of product design, integration, and support, including procurement, prototyping, production, or logistics
- Coordinating with internal buyers and external vendors to exchange technical information and facilitate the design, fabrication, delivery, and inspection of components
- Performing engineering analyses, such as weight and center of mass, structural, transportability, or thermal; as well as authoring reports documenting them.
- Develop bills of material in support of design, production, proposal, or other business activities.
- As a team member contribute yo the creation, delivery, and defense of engineering briefings to support internal and external design reviews, including to company management and government customer representatives.
- preparation and submittal of contract deliverable reports and data packages
- Preparing and Presenting SETR milestones (SRR,PDR,CDR, TRR, PRR, VTP and EQT)
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related degree with over 2 years' experience in designing support equipment Or a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related degree 0 years' experience in designing support
- 2+ years of design experience in mechanical design using NX CAD design
- 2+ Experience using industry-standard engineering data management systems such as TeamCenter
- Ability to obtain a Secret security clearance
- Candidate has a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3D CAD modeling/2D drawing drafting experience specifically with Nx
- Experience specifically with TeamCenter Product Lifecycle Management software
- Experience with electronics/payload integration design for military systems
- Experience leading the design of a major deliverable products
- Experience in a production/manufacturing environment
- Candidate must also be willing to travel to various site locations to demonstrate the function of the designed equipment
- Active security clearance, level Secret
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit
www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top