Materials & Process - Senior Metallurgist Level 5
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Senior Metallurgist to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The Senior Metallurgist will be part of the Engineering Team and is responsible for providing Materials and Processes support to aerospace hardware production, developing materials, processes, engineering specifications, and performing metallurgical evaluations and failure analyses. The successful candidate will collaborate with design engineering, manufacturing, QA, and customers to help deliver high quality, precision aerospace products. Our Senior Metallurgist will also investigate opportunities for improving existing materials, processes, equipment, adherence to specifications, and technology for attaining cost reduction and continuous improvement goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provide expertise and guidance on aluminum, ferrous materials, other metals, material development, material selection, material testing, coatings and failure analysis.
* Provide expertise and guidance on the relationship between materials and manufacturing processes focused mainly on forging, heat treating, and metals joining.
* Investigate opportunities for improving existing materials, processes, equipment, and technology.
* Provide hands-on support to production operations to implement cost reduction and productivity improvement projects.
* Perform rigorous failure analysis. Conduct or manage laboratory testing and analysis.
* Support prototype trials, materials analysis and performance characterization.
* Participate in development and improvement of strategic suppliers.
* Bachelor's degree in Metallurgy, Materials Science, or equivalent AND fourteen (14) or more years of metallurgical industry experience -OR- Master's degree in Metallurgy, Materials Science, or equivalent AND twelve (12) or more years of metallurgical industry experience -OR- PhD in Metallurgy, Materials Science, or equivalent AND nine (9) or more years of metallurgical industry experience
* Demonstrated expertise in aluminum, titanium, and/or ferrous metallurgy
* Experience with manufacturing processes including forging, heat treating, welding and/or brazing
* Material selection and qualification experience
* Metallurgical evaluation skills and failure analysis techniques and methodologies
* Ability to obtain and maintain a SCI clearance
* Metallurgical experience in the aerospace industry
* Knowledge of physical and mechanical properties as well as evaluation methods (tensile strength, hardness, fatigue, fracture toughness, creep, SEM, non-destructive inspection, spectroscopy)
* Understanding of the interaction between process variables, alloy chemistry and the resulting material performance
* Proven ability to effectively solve problems and lead problem-solving activities and teams
* Proven ability to lead a project from research to launch with a strong customer focus
* Strong statistical data analysis skills
* Personable with strong interpersonal and project management skills
* Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
* Innovative and able to drive new ideas thru to implementation
* Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top