Mass Properties Engineer
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history – from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
The Flight Sciences Organization within the Aerospace Systems Engineering and Global Product Development (E&GPD) organization has multiple openings for qualified applicants in the area of Mass Properties.
Mass properties engineering performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, and mass properties requirements allocation studies to translate customer, product or derived mass properties requirements into hardware and software specification requirements. Analyzes, researches and tests system hardware and conditions for optimal mass properties system solutions compared to requirements. Tools utilized may include solid modeling tools, database tools and standard office applications.
This individual will provide technical expertise on Mass Properties, advising program and design teams and supporting the achievement of program requirements. Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing Technical Leadership and Policies for the Program and the Mass Properties Team
- Leading and mentoring a team of Mass Properties Engineers
- Acting as interface with program customer regarding Mass Properties
- Developing and implementing a Mass Properties Management and Control Program
- Acting as the Cost Account Manager – establishing, managing & reporting manpower, forecast & budget variances
- Accurate estimating and optimizing of mass properties to achieve vehicle performance and fulfill weight based program metrics
- Establishing specification and design target weights
- Maintaining accounting and reporting systems to inform the customer and management of current and projected mass properties trends
- Participating as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
- Providing mass properties data for cost analyses and vehicle design and analysis
- Evaluating subcontractor proposals, interacting with and overseeing subcontractor mass properties management and control
- Reviewing and approving drawings to achieve mass properties management and control.
- Measuring vehicle and/or component mass properties
- Providing operational flight manual mass properties data
Successful candidates will be self-starting engineers able to perform duties without appreciable direction, or only under consulted direction toward long-range goals, capable of mentoring junior engineers, developing estimates & schedules, leading ground based development test efforts, and leading technical teams engaged in above activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM field from an accredited University
- 0-6 years of direct experience in an industry related field
- U.S. citizenship is required
- Ability to attain a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Security Clearance
- Candidate must be familiar with Society of Allied Weight Engineers RP 7 & 8
- Proficiency with MS Office software (Excel, Work, PowerPoint)
- A current in scope DoD Secret, Top Secret or SSBI/SCI clearance
- Siemens NX proficient
- Aircraft Weight and Balance Certification
- Automated Weight and Balance System (AWBS) experience
- Familiar with Society of Allied Weight Engineers Recommended Practices
- Broad general knowledge of air vehicle design and manufacturing techniques
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For a complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top