Marine Field Service Technician 2
Working in Northrop Grumman Mission Systems means making a direct contribution to mission projects that keep our homeland safe, expanding the boundaries of possibility and reshaping the world we live in. We are seeking a Field Service Technician to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Cranford, NJ.
Under limited supervision, the Field Service Technician applies knowledge of electronics and circuitry to test, repair, and install a group of Sperry Marine (SMI) products. Will analyze system malfunctions and make repairs under tight shipboard schedules. Will use complex schematics and/or blueprints to achieve objective for assigned tasks.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and tests marine products, normally aboard customers' vessels but may include landbased and shop work.
- Oversees and supervises the shipboard installation of all SMI products. Stays with installed product during sea trial and makes adjustments to ensure proper working order.
- Performs training aboard ship to satisfy customer operational requirements.
- Provides and assists in the training of less experienced employees.
- Establishes and maintains customer relationships through routine visitations and contacts at customers' offices and vessels.
- At all times, promotes the company's products and services through customer relationships.
- Performs administrative functions including job paperwork, time sheets, expense records, and computer entries of such records.
- Prior to jobs aboard vessels, studies previous service records and secures sufficient information, tools and spare parts to ensure a high success rate.
- After jobs aboard vessels, provides adequate follow up to ensure customer satisfaction or to arrange follow up service.
- Prepares service reports on product malfunctions and reports of weekly activities.
- Will adhere to Company's Safety and quality policies and Field Engineering "Code of Conduct".
Shipboard working environment: Occasionally must take helicopter to ships at anchorage. Works on radar mast 50-60 feet above deck or 100 feet below main deck. Works also in shipyards around new construction on ships. Works exposed to weather at times.
- 3 years of technical, electronic experience; or an Associate's Degree in a technical discipline plus 1 year of technical, electronic experience.
- Must be able to apply electronic and electro-mechanical theory.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a valid FCC General License plus radar endorsement.
- Ability to frequently move and position objects weighing 40-50 lbs.
- Must be able to take a launch service 5 to 100 miles offshore and board by Jacob's ladder.
- Ability to work at height or in close spaces.
- Ability to be subject to a variety of atmospheric conditions.
- Experience with Marine Navigation equipment, to include RADAR, Gyrocompasses, Steering/autopilot systems, and ECDIS
- Current FCC General License plus radar endorsement.
- Computer proficiency
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top