Manager, Tool Engineering
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Propulsion Systems Division located in Magna, UT, is seeking a Manager to lead a Tooling Engineering Team.
This position will have responsibility in leading 12 to 18 tooling engineers, tooling designers, and tooling planners and is ultimately responsible for meeting the technical solutions involving tooling for all programs. The qualified candidate must be able to lead an engineering group to effectively meet tool requirements for safety, quality, functionality, and manufacturability as well as the program requirements for cost and schedule. Organizational and multi-tasking skills are strongly needed.
- Must have good communication and technical presentation skills.
- Drive technical excellence by ensuring department meets technical standards.
- Set role and performance expectations, and provide ongoing feedback and performance appraisals.
- Develop subordinates.
- Provide overall leadership and direction to the department (to include coaching team members, resolving conflict, reviewing performance, and initiating corrective actions if necessary).
- Detailed understanding of process control through SPC, SQC or other process monitoring techniques.
- Champion company values, especially safety.
- Drive timely and clearly communicated decisions and recommendations.
- Manage or provide input including cost estimates for technical proposals.
- Oversee capital project budgets and schedule assigned to Tooling Engineering.
- Manpower planning and forecasting.
- Manage resources to support program schedules, balancing needs, priorities and cost.
- Working knowledge of PFMEA and other advanced quality improvement tools.
- Proven experience in Lean Manufacturing, and mentoring/coaching others in rapid problem solving and improvement.
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- BS Degree in Engineering.
- 5+ years of project management experience including responsibility for technical design, installation, budget and schedule.
- Experience managing a team of engineers across disciplines.
- Excellent problem solving skills and proven leadership of cross functional teams in resolving complex technical issues (product and processing equipment).
- In depth knowledge and experience with both high hazard and inert processes is required.
- Knowledge of configuration management.
- Prior Engineering Management role preferred but not required.
- 10+ years' experience in tooling design preferred but not required. Experience with propellant/explosives highly desirable.
- Sound financial understanding, including capital management and make/buy decision processes.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top