Manager, Systems Engineering 2
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking candidates with outstanding leadership skills who would be responsible for managing personnel on the System Performance Modeling & Engineering Analysis (SPMEA) team reporting directly to the Modeling, Simulation, and Analysis (MS&A) department manager within the Engineering & Sciences Systems Engineering, Integration, & Test (SEIT) organization. The qualified applicant will become a first line manager, a dual technical and manager role, within the MS&A Organization focused upon the increasingly important technology areas of system, sensor, and component performance and analytical modeling and the corresponding engineering analysis.
The SPMEA team is responsible for the development, construct, definition, and modeling of system performance requirements into system, sensor, and component performance capabilities and assessment of engineering designs needed to meet performance capabilities. The team is additionally responsible for defining capability based performance assessments, metrics, and effects of a given performance capability against a system design. At the broader level the MS&A organization is responsible for developing, maintaining, and supporting the processes, procedures, training, and staffing related to Model-based Engineering, Model-based Systems Engineering, Mission Evaluation, Operations Analysis, Analytical Modeling, Performance Modeling and Assessments, Simulation Development, Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Business Modeling, and Design Optimization for the SEIT functional organization.
This is a dual-role manager position, involving both overall management of the SPMEA team within MS&A the organization as well as technical work supporting work on programs. The split between functional and program duties will be approximately 20% functional and 80% on direct program work, on average.
Direct program work may include technical work, IPT leadership, consulting, proposal support, or any other appropriate technical function. The technical work involves multi-disciplinary, collaborative teams developing novel modeling and simulation software products. This includes modeling of weapon kinematics, integrated air defense systems, non-kinetic effects, sensor systems, electronic warfare systems, communications networks, advanced tracking, correlation, and fusion algorithms, and automated tactics and battle management capabilities at various levels of access.
In the manager role, this position manages the System Performance Modeling and Engineering Analysis (SPMEA) team and is responsible for staffing and workload forecasting, career coaching and development, goal setting, and performance evaluations. Additional responsibilities would include support to organization and sector strategy and policy development as well as support to programs looking to define system performance modeling and simulation capabilities for execution. In this capacity, the front-line manager is expected to support program leadership to develop budgets, schedule, work packages, risk management, and overall technical quality and authority.
The successful candidate will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills and will have a record of accomplishment as an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The Systems Engineering Manager will demonstrate a broad skill set that is balanced between interpersonal, business, and technical capabilities. She / he will have an ability to operate in a team environment and collaborate across the sector business areas as required to accomplish the team goals. Additionally, will possess an engineering background combined with experience in mathematicalphysics-based modeling and a solid background in object-oriented software design methodologies and programming using C++. Academic or practical experience in fields such as aerodynamics, kinematics, guidance and control, DIS/HLA, electronic warfare, radar, infrared sensors, and/or communications systems. The selected candidate will work closely with the managers and directors of other engineering disciplines, program directors, program managers, and sector leadership to support staffing needs, sector initiatives, and sector strategy.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) discipline from an ABET accredited university with 5+ years of engineering experience OR Master's degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) discipline from an ABET accredited university with 3+ years of engineering experience
- Active DoD Secret clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite).
- Proven demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment and have effective communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in mathematical modeling, computational analysis, numerical methods, and data analysis
- Experience in object-oriented software design methodologies and programming using C, C++, Java®, Python® and Matlab® .
- Master's degree in Systems Engineering, Engineering and/or Technical Management, Mathematics, Physics, or related fields from an ABET accredited university
- Previous Functional and/or Project Management experience.
- Proactive leadership skills, demonstrated communication and teamwork skills
- Detailed knowledge of software programming languages and databases and the ability to apply to software domain. Programming languages encompass higher order languages, auto-coded languages and assembly languages.
- Detailed knowledge of real-time target environments, including processor and network architectures, communication protocols, simulation frameworks and electrical interfaces.
- Able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Top Secret/SCI security clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top