Manager of Engineering - Optics / Hardware / Software
Adaptive Optics Associates (AOA) - Xinetics, a Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (NGAS) Strategic Business Venture, is seeking a dynamic Engineering Manager for its Image Metrology Business Area located in Devens, MA.
Celebrating 40 years of evolving light, AOA Xinetics (AOX), part of Northrop Grumman's Aerospace Products business unit ,is a leader in developing challenging, mission critical electro-optical and opto-mechanical systems. Across its three Business Areas (Xinetics, Image Metrology and Proprietary), AOX designs, manufactures and services optical & photonic solutions world-wide for both the industrial and government markets. Since its inception, AOA Xinetics has been providing customers with the highest quality products and services.
AOX's Image Metrology Business Area delivers industrial metrology systems, field service support and R&D services for a variety of customers and applications that acquire and process data in real time for high availability applications. Image Metrology's core is the development of complex imaging product solutions for logistics handling unit identification and measurement.
AOA Xinetics' core capabilities include lightweight passive and active silicon carbide optics and precision structures as well as large and small precision opto-mechanical systems supporting electronics and sophisticated controls software. AOA Xinetics customers include industrial, U.S. Government as well as U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include shipping and logistics, defense ISR and Directed Energy and proprietary programs. The Company has substantial growth opportunities in support of many commercial, U.S. Government and NGAS's business initiatives.
The Engineering Manager will work with other engineering managers across the three business areas to develop and enhance critical technical capabilities that drive our businesses. The successful candidate will work closely with their direct reports and business area leaders to develop engineering talent, tools, and processes, while also working closely with peer departments in manufacturing, quality, and program management. The Engineering Manager will be responsible for delivering value through a range of disciplines including optical, systems, electrical, mechanical and software engineering in a team oriented and customer focused environment.
The Engineering Manager will report directly to the AOA Image Metrology Business Area Manager. This position provides a broad, exciting leadership opportunity in a high-growth, strategically important business for NGAS. We are looking for a successful leader with exceptional people skills, one who is valued by employees and customers alike. Our ideal candidate has developed teams, can influence and motivate them to perform at higher levels, has excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills; must be highly influential in conversation and have a record of collaborative approach with peers/peer organizations. Specifically, the details of the position are the following:
Position Description: Direct Responsibilities:
- Working manager of 10-15 engineers of various engineering disciplines.
- Responsible for the technical performance of the Image Metrology Engineering Group.
- Will be an individual contributor with regards to system architecture, and system engineering on critical programs.
- Thorough knowledge of system engineering, principles and its applications.
- Will engage with internal and external customers, addressing complex and difficult technical issues and developing practical product solutions.
- Recruit, mentor, and train subordinate staff members in design practices and process engineering procedures.
- Manage, monitor, and review various projects technical performance; including status, scheduling, and resource leveling.
- Manage the EE, ME CAD modeling process, the preparation and release of detailed design documents, and generation of engineering procedures.
- Allocate and schedule resources to support business area objectives and goals.
- Create, develop, and recommend changes in staffing, equipment, process and procedures that enhanced the engineering standards, efficiency and effectively.
- Work closely with and collaborate with the Business Area Manager, Program Managers and other technical personnel on proposals, quotes, and responses to customer technical inquiries. Include technical and resource analysis of RFI's, RFP's and SOW's as well as identifying risks and appropriate risk mitigation strategies.
- Attend meetings, seminars, symposiums and shows as a technical representative of AOA Xinetics.
- Works closely with AOA Xinetics leadership and compliance functions to ensure full compliance with Division, Corporate, and government policies.
- Position is located in the AOX Devens MA facility.
- Travel to customer facilities and offices to support design and program reviews and preparation and presentation of proposals.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of times and light physical effort required.
- Expert knowledge of electro-optical systems, and system engineering.
- B.S. degree in Engineering and 10 years' experience in the development of electro-optical systems and products incorporating both hardware and software.
- Have a significant history of technical achievements along with demonstrated successes in engineering supervisory and project management roles.
- Possess leadership skills to develop, organize and execute engineering activities, including building teams, and assessing technical talent
- Preparing and executing detailed technical reviews; developing and managing engineering processes and standards; coordinating engineering services, infrastructure and tools; and planning and development of engineering budgets and staffing.
- Strong critical thinking and logical reasoning skills and the ability to apply them to solve issues and predict potential technical risks.
- Good working knowledge of desktop/laptop computers, MSOffice tools, VPN as required to accomplish responsibilities.
- Conducts business with impeccable ethics; leads by example and fosters ethical behavior at all times. Maintains a positive and professional working environment.
- Have experience recruiting and developing engineering talent.
- Possess superior analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to gain internal support, operate independently with limited supervision and feedback, and the ability to establish a solid working relationship with technical staff, division managers, and peers in the business areas.
- A MS degree and/or PhD in a related engineering discipline.
- Have implemented / improved engineering practices and processes.
- Experience with engineering product data managements (i.e. PDM) and collaborations systems.
Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company whose 75,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.
Northrop Grumman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce regardless of age. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top