Manager Mechanical Engineering 3
- Redondo Beach, CA
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman, Strategic Space Systems Division, is looking for you to join our team as a Department Manager for our Systems Integration, Test, and Evaluation (SIT&E) directorate based in Redondo Beach, CA.
SIT&E is responsible for the manufacture and test of spacecraft, spacecraft sub-systems, and spacecraft components. Our teams build cables, harnesses, structures, MLI, sensors, mechanisms, antennas, cryocoolers, solar arrays, and propulsion systems. The talented team is responsible for the environmental testing of the hardware to include thermal vacuum, thermal cycle, shock, and vibration testing. The team is also responsible for spacecraft integration, test and launch.
SIT&E is hiring several department managers for the following functional areas: Mechanical Engineering & Test, Mechanical Operations, Mechanical Ground Support Equipment (MGSE) Design, Environmental & Specialty Test, and Planning, Logistics, & Infrastructure. Department size will be dependent on focus area and will range between 100 and 175 people.
The selected candidate must be able to work collaboratively with other engineering and manufacturing departments at the Redondo Beach Space Park facility. The candidate must collaborate with functional and program leadership, business development, business management, mission assurance, product development, and global supply chain management to resolve complex issues in a timely manner.
As a department manager in this role, the candidate will be responsible for the overall direction, leadership, and management of several section managers. As the process owner for command media, the department manager is responsible for assuring that processes are followed and updates are made when required. He or she will work with their teams to assure all staffing needs are met as we anticipate strong growth in the coming year. The department manager drives talent development and will instill a culture of career growth and development amongst the entire department.
This position is also responsible for guiding a group of managers and their teams in the development, implementation, and refinement of strong processes with emphasis on quantitative management, continuous improvement, employee engagement, and engineering affordability with high quality work product results.
Limited travel may be required.
This management role will require you to complete an assessment as part of the application process. To learn more about our hiring process for manager positions, please view our Selecting the Best Qualified Managers video: www.northropgrumman.com/SQMVideo . This video gives you a preview of the Manager Selection Process and is an opportunity to learn more about the Manager Readiness Assessment and the ove rall process.
- Bachelor's Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM)discipline from an accredited institution plus 7 years of engineering experience or Master's Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) plus 5 years of engineering experience.
- Proven leadership experience on a project and/or team.
- E xperience in the Aerospace and Defense Industry.
- Candidate must have and be able to maintain an active U.S. Government security clearance at the Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years, OR must have and be able to maintain an active U.S. Government SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within the last 5 years.
- Master of Science in Engineering or other STEM discipline and/or Master of Business Administration
- Highly effective communication, collaboration and presentation skills.
- Experience working directly with flight or non-flight hardware in a design, manufacture, integration or test role.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and leading high performing presentation teams with a culture of teamwork evolution.
- Continuing education related to systems engineering, engineering management, project management or other related area of study.
- Previous experience in a functional management role
- Demonstrated ability to foster career growth and develop talent.
- Proficiency in technical problem solving, root cause analysis, solution development, change implementation and monitoring.
- Experience managing multiple cost accounts
- Knowledge of or experience with Model Based Engineering (MBE) and Agile processes
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top