Machinist 3 (Milling Machine)
- San Diego, CA
Northrop Grumman manufactures some of the world's most technically advanced products. Our manufacturing plants are highly-automated, cutting-edge centers of excellence where employees leverage the latest technology, including the strategic use of automation, 3-D printing and robotics. There are a myriad of job functions associated with the manufacture of our products that range from machinists, engineers, operation program managers, and quality inspectors.
Our mission is to deliver differentiated value to our programs, by manufacturing products with the highest possible quality at the most affordable rate. Search our current job openings and join us to be at the front line of innovation.
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is looking for you to join our team as a Milling Machinist 3 based out of San Diego, Rancho Carmel office.
Job Description: Work to be performed in small Model/Prototype shop
Sets up and operates Manual and CNC vertical milling and turning machines to perform machining operations such as surfacing, drilling angular holes, multi-axis contours, spine turning/milling to exacting tolerances. Selects, mounts, and aligns various specialized machine attachments and standard or improvised tooling; plans sequence of operations, number of cuts required, and method of setup; determines, sets, and adjusts speeds, feeds, and depth of cut; interprets prints, sketches, and engineering specifications. Operates all shop equipment in a safe manor. May monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical or other control procedures. Works from prints, drawings, or verbal instructions using math and basic computer skills. Maintains model shop machinery. May enter data from prints or databases into CAD/CAM system, generate numerical control program, and transmits program to machining center. Plans work to be performed and determines methods and sequence of operations working from tool design drawings or own designs. Develops and designs holding devices, jigs and fixtures. Prepares operational sequences and shop drawings covering parts fabrication and assembly to be performed by others. Experience installing Heli-coil inserts helpful. Experience with forming sheet metal and bending brake work desired.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- 5 years minimum Mastercam programming and modeling experience with basic post and simulation knowledge.
- Applicant would need to demonstrate proficiently with 3d /2 and 1/2d modeling, multi-axis programming, and tool path selection.
- Solid background in machine tool holder and work holding preferred.
- Aligns and fastens work using standard fixtures and established methods.
- Installs and adjusts cutting tools consistent with type and size of material being machined.
- Follows established manufacturing methods using standard production machines, materials, and tooling.
- Adjusts feeds, speeds, and depth of cut to machine quality parts, per documentation.
- Operates hand and power tools to deburr precision and complex machine parts in accordance with semi-complicated engineering prints and route sheets to close tolerances.
- Inspects parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers and comparators. Uses various types of magnification equipment (including a microscope) to detect and avoid damage to surfaces and critical areas. Visually inspects parts for burrs or damaged machined surfaces.
- Routinely maintains equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability specific to division requirements.
- Accurately and regularly performs statistical process control (SPC) specific to division requirements.
- Actively implements lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Effectively applies lean concepts and tools in work area.
- Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Familiar with FOD (Foreign Object Debris) and ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) terminology and practice.
- Knowledge of 3D additive manufacturing a plus.
- Performs other related responsibilities, as requested.
- Minimum of High School Diploma/GED and 6+ year's experience with CNC Mills and CNC Lathes.
- Experience in 3 Axis Milling.
- Ability to perform moderately to strenuous physical and repetitious work to include bending, stooping, kneeling, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Knowledge in Master Cam software.
- Ability to obtain and maintain both a DOD Secret Clearance, and Special Program Access.
- Experience machining a variety of material types, such as aluminum, steel, titanium, nylon, composites, and plastics.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top