- Charlottesville, VA
Are you interested in expanding your career through experience and exposure, all the while supporting a mission that seeks to ensure the security of our nation and its allies? If so, then Northrop Grumman may be the place for you. As a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions to customers worldwide, Northrop Grumman offers an extraordinary portfolio of capabilities and technologies. Here at Northrop Grumman we are comprised of professionals that bring different perspectives, are curious about the world, accepting of each other, and understand that the more ideas, backgrounds, and experiences we bring to our work than the more innovative we can be. As we continue to build our talented workforce we look for professionals that exemplify our core values, leadership characteristics, and approach to innovation.
Working in Northrop Grumman means making a direct contribution to mission projects that keep our homeland safe, expanding the boundaries of possibility and reshaping the world we live in. We are seeking a Machinist 3 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals in Charlottesville, Virginia.
• Sets up and runs multiple production machines. Performs machine operations (including reworking parts) such as cutting, shaping, deburring, forming, drilling, and reaming parts. Performs machine operations where the materials, tooling, and sequence of operations have been pre-planned and established. Makes necessary machine adjustments and reports improper machine functioning or cutting action for correction.
• Aligns and fastens work using standard fixtures and established methods.
• Installs and adjusts cutting tools consistent with type and size of material being machined.
• Follows established manufacturing methods using standard production machines, materials, and tooling.
• Program simple fixturing using Conversational controller or CAM software.
• Adjusts feeds, speeds, and depth of cut to machine quality parts, per documentation.
• Operates hand and power tools to deburr precision and complex machine parts in accordance with semi-complicated engineering blueprints and route sheets to close tolerances.
• Inspects parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers and comparators. Uses various types of magnification equipment (including a microscope) to detect and avoid damage to surfaces and critical areas. Visually inspects parts for burrs or damaged machined surfaces.
• Routinely maintains equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability specific to division requirements.
• Accurately and regularly performs statistical process control (SPC) specific to division requirements.
• Actively implements lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Effectively applies lean concepts and tools in work area.
• Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and orderly work area.
• Performs other related responsibilities, as requested.
• High School diploma or equivalent and 4 years machining or manufacturing experience
• US Citizenship is required
• Able to make machine set ups.
• Able to efficiently manage project tasks from design reviews through project completion.
• Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
• Able to work with guidance in a team environment.
• Reads and follows blueprints, specifications, and verbal instructions.
• Has working knowledge of machine shop mathematics, may include trigonometry.
• Knowledge of lean initiatives.
• Demonstrated proficiency using Master Cam
• Effectively demonstrates team member competencies and participates in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities and understands that personal effort and attitude play a significant part in the success of the business.
• Interprets reports and uses job specific software applications. Ability to use employee self-service systems to access on-line information and use specialized automated systems.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top