Linux Engineer 2
Northrop Grumman Technology Services sector is seeking a Linux Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in the Chester, VA.
The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman’s Virginia Information Technology Agency (VITA) Program, which is a 13 year, $2B program, responsible for providing end-to-end IT Infrastructure to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Linux Engineer will be a member of the Tier 3 Platform Engineering group.
Successful candidate will:
- Contribute to the development of new services, techniques, and standards.
- Act as consultant or advisor to management and customers.
- Mentor and train team members
- Work with project management to execute complex infrastructure projects
- Identify and develop process and workflow improvements across the enterprise environment
- Provide level 3 support when escalated by the operations team
- Create Service Design Documents and Engineering Change Plans for IT infrastructure projects
- Create and maintain Engineering standards, processes and procedures for the organization
- Plan and implement upgrade and migration projects
- Build LINUX and UNIX servers with various OS’
- Develop process improvements for the program
- Implement automation in new and existing processes
The ideal candidate will be flexible and have a “can do” attitude. They must be able to effectively juggle multiple tasks and prioritize competing projects and assignments. They must have technical knowledge of multiple areas to include server OS and Networking.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years RedHat Linux experience OR Master’s Degree OR High School Diploma and 6 years RedHat Linux experience
- Understanding of IT service delivery
- Experience with RedHat Linux server build and support in an enterprise environment
- Experience with RedHat Linux patching
- Proven customer services in a complex environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Must be a team player, proactive, and possess excellent problem-solving, communication, and organizational skills
- Have the ability to clearly present technical approaches or findings in oral and written formats
- Be self-motivated and directed with the ability to perform without appreciable direction
- Be detail focused with the ability to produce high quality outputs
- Have the ability to work across an organization to meet project objectives
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Prior experience with the VITA program
- Experience with HBA/SAN implementation
- Experience with scripting
- Experience with Satellite server, YUM and Kickstart
- Experience with Puppet
- Experience with Dell and HP Blades
- VMWare ESX experience
- Experience with the Design, Implementation, and Maintenance of Disaster systems
- Backup and storage technologies, i.e., Avamar, Symantec NetBackup
- Basic understanding of database and application functions
- Comprehensive knowledge of network technologies, i.e., Switch, Firewall, Router
- Experience using VPN/RDP/SSH to navigate a multi-tiered network environment
- Strong troubleshooting methodology with ability for creative problem-solving
- One or more industry recognized IT certifications
- Understanding of the ITIL Framework
- Experience with IT infrastructure integration/consolidation projects
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top