I&T Principal Mechanical Engineer - Space/Satellite
- Chandler, AZ
This Principal Mechanical Integration & Test Engineer is responsible for leading mechanical spacecraft integration & test activities and to provide Mechanical Engineering support to cross functional departments while working in conjunction with Design Engineering and I&T Managers. Operations are performed in a clean room level manufacturing environment where I&T engineers coordinate, monitor, and oversee system-level integration activities performed by the technical staff at Northrop Grumman's Gilbert Az. Campus. The select candidate must be able to obtain a TS clearance.
The selected candidate shall support initial design concepts and design for manufacturing initiatives for various mechanical aspects of the LEOStar-3 and ESPA Star product lines including payload integration and logistics while guaranteeing manufacturability, quality, and customer requirements. The selected candidate shall also work with associated I&T Mechanical Engineers. I&T managers, and design engineering with complex and problematic manufacturability and design issues while providing technical leadership and guidance for problem solving actions. Additional duties may be assigned which promote DFM and CoPQ initiatives.
This position may require off hour shift work, weekend work, and extended daily hours to meet production demands. Launch campaign support and short term travel may be required on an irregular basis as required to support program schedules
- The candidate shall possess a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or STEM discipline, plus a minimum of five years' experience in aerospace or space flight integration and DFM activities.
- US Citizenship required with the capability of obtaining a Top Secret security clearance.
- Candidate must possess excellent technical leadership skills including excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication ability.
- The candidate should have detailed technical knowledge and experience in handling space,flight or military components and have a working knowledge of manufacturing processes applicable in hardware.
- The candidate should be proficient at interpreting complex engineering drawings, schematics, diagrams, and specifications. Also, works with Design Engineers to review initial design concepts, pre-release drawings while providing feedback to Engineering to minimize design impacts on downstream manufacturability.
- The candidate should be able to proactively identify issues, escalate to appropriate channels, and offer solutions. Additionally, the candidate should be able to coordinate, drive, and support the resolution of anomalies and discrepancies while working with cross functional teams towards prompt resolution.
- The candidate should have the ability to author/oversee technical Work Instructions, component installation processes, and procedures for use in I&T. Knowledge and some experience with 3D Modeling, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is required. Business tools such as TipQA, Windchill, Solumina MES, Costpoint, and CREOView preferred.
- Practical experience with 5S/FOD, ESD and Six Sigma and/or Lean manufacturing techniques required.
Back to top