- Sunnyvale, CA
Monitor the manufacturing processes and operations and conduct various types of inspections/tests on a broad range of complicated fabrications, subassemblies, assemblies and tools to assure compliance with customer and WEC specifications and standards where inspection/test setups, techniques and procedures are not normally established.
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL MAJOR JOB DUTIES BUT THIS DESCRIPTION DOES NOT PRECLUDE THE PERFORMANCE OF OTHER DUTIES BY THE INCUMBENT, NOR THE QUESTION BEING RAISED ON THE PROPER RATE FOR THE ASSIGNMENT.
In addition to performing the duties of the Inspector "B," performs the following:
1. Inspect components, assemblies, tooling, weldments and materials of various geometric configurations and processes as specified and randomly for compliance with established customer and NG specifications and standards. Identify and tag defective parts, materials and incorrect processes with appropriate inspection documentation.
2. Setup and use measuring equipment including coordinate measurement machines, optical tooling, Dr. Hoflar and
MAAG Gear inspection equipment, etc., where procedures and techniques are not normally established. Apply
analytical evaluation methods and calculations involving complex triangulation, compound angles, etc., as necessary, throughout the inspection cycle. Analyze and evaluate actual dimensions and functional test results to verify conformance with established specifications and standards.
3. May perform various non-destructive tests on a wide variety of metallic and non-metallic materials to determine quality and soundness of material being inspected utilizing x-ray, ultrasonic, eddy current and helium leak testing and other NDT equipment. Required to pass and maintain a level II certification.
4. Advise Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Production, Purchasing and Supplier personnel of quality problems and
conditions, and assist in preventing the recurrence of defects by performing appropriate follow-up, inspection and
5. Determine inspection priorities for assignments to lower coded inspectors.
6. Perform similar or lower classified work as required.
SCOPE, PURPOSE AND FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS:
Manufacturing to inspect material and clarify standards Frequent
Engineering to clarify standards or to evaluate questionable Frequent
Resident Government to discuss defective parts/materials Frequent
Inspectors/Customers and clarify standards
Purchasing/Vendors to review methods and results of NDT Occasional
testing and discuss defective material
and/or tools and parts
DIRECTION OF OTHERS:
Advise shop personnel in proper quality procedures. Provide guidance and instruction to lower classified inspectors.
Receives assignments and limited instructions from supervisor. Work to be performed requires ingenuity and initiative on the part of employee, although he/she may receive occasional assistance and guidance from Quality Engineers.
High school graduate and courses in Engineering Drawing, Metrology and Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry through Trigonometry or the equivalent.
At least two years related experience as an Inspector "B," including experience with radiography and other NDT processes or equivalent. Must have demonstrated initiative, independent discretion and sound judgement in carrying out assignments and be thoroughly familiar with the division's products, manufacturing methods and procedures and the geometric tolerancing and dimensioning system.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top