Inertial Navigation - Systems Engineer 5
Working in Northrop Grumman Mission Systems means making a direct contribution to mission projects that keep our homeland safe, expanding the boundaries of possibility and reshaping the world we live in.
This position reports to the Manager of System Engineering as the technical lead on multi-platform Guidance and Navigation and Control (GNC) projects. The position requires close collaboration with all levels of Systems, Software and Hardware Engineering to develop requirements and architectures for Embedded GPS INS (EGI) navigation systems.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs program technical planning
- Participates in the development of program costing efforts.
- Utilizes the EVMS system to track and facilitate program execution.
- Performs technical assessment of customer needs/requirements during proposal phase.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements/needs into verifiable hardware and software specifications.
- Plans and executes system integration, verification and validation as part of a cross functional team.
- Participates as a team member to drive issues to root cause and enact corrective design actions
- Prepares and Presents technical data to management and customers
- Organizes and participates in system verification activities
- Must have a minimum of 14 years of experience in Systems Engineering with a Bachelor's Degree, 12 years of experience in Systems Engineering with a Master's Degree, or 9 years of Systems Engineering experience with a PhD.
- Degree in Electrical/Systems/Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering/Applied Mathematics or Physics.
- Experienced in Guidance Navigation and Control systems including Inertial, GPS and Embedded GPS & Inertial (EGI) systems.
- Demonstrated expertise within Systems Engineering to include but not limited to requirements analysis, requirements allocation, requirements decomposition, requirements development and verification & validation
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities to include mentorship of junior engineers.
- Must have prior experience working frequently with external customers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills is expected.
- Must have the ability to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance.
- Experience in control system analysis, electronics and inertial measurement technology as applied to advanced inertial measurement and navigation systems.
- Experience with MathCad and Matlab/Simulink
- Familiarity with the DOORS Requirements management tool.
- Experience with DO178 & DO254 desired
- Familiarity with Failure Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) are pluses.
- Industry/Company Recognition and Awards, Attendance and Participation in industry/engineering conferences and symposiums, and/or Patent/Disclosures/Publications.
- A Masters or Doctorate degree is desired
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top