Gearing Manufacturing Engineer 2
Northrop Grumman Marine Systems is seeking a Junior Gear Manufacturing Engineer to join its team. The successful candidate will work in conjunction with the operations process and quality engineering teams on all facets of high-value
gearing and machining assemblies. Responsibilities include troubleshooting and improving existing manufacturing processes, developing new processes, and developing the required tooling and fixtures with an excellent team of experienced gear machinist and engineers. The candidate will be instrumental in leading continuous improvement activities by providing technical expertise and leadership to a team focused on establishing process controls and
standardized work within the Manufacturing Process Areas.
The selected candidate will write engineering documents which include work orders, gear grinding procedures, manufacturing engineering instructions and process sheets. Review and approve engineering drawings for manufacturing
of both new and legacy products. Develop process flows for grinding and hobbing sequences, implementing strategies and concepts to increased efficiencies and to identify optimal tools and specialized equipment required to support a large gear manufacturing environment. Lead production part approval processes, PFMEA and SPC activities with other supporting team members. Additional duties include working with manufacturing process teams to properly coordinate manufacturing flow, time efficiencies, manufacturing engineering availability and skill level.
The ideal candidate will have a strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of technical principles and theories related to gear design, manufacturing and measurement analysis to include knowledge of specialized processes such as heat treat, nitride, shot-peen and carburizing. The selected candidate will work under general direction and independently determine and develop timely approaches to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. The candidate will be responsible for contributing to the completion of assemblies and subsystems for specific programs and projects as well and internal IR&D projects.
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical, Manufacturing Engineering or other in a technical discipline.
- Experience with grinding, hobbing, and honing processes of helical gears.
- Ability to read mechanical drawings and have a complete understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance, (GD&T).
- Experienced in many facets of the helical gear manufacturing processes.
- Experience in assembling Bills of Materials and writing engineering change orders.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be comfortable and work well as part of an integrated team including machinist, engineering peers and principal level engineers.
- High level of proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Absolutely must be a self-starter and able to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced, highly technical work environment.
- U.S. Citizenship is a bona fide requirement as applicants may be subject to a government security investigation.
- Experience with and knowledge of Marine Propulsion Gearing is a significant plus.
- Experience in Form, Generation and Profile Grinding.
- Knowledge and hands on experience operating a variety of gear grinding and hobbing equipment.
- Knowledge of Gear Analysis and Measuring Systems.
- Green Belt Certified preferred.
- Experienced with SAP.
- Be comfortable and work well as part of an integrated team including machinist, engineering peers and principal level.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top