GEAR MACHINIST - 1st shift
Assist senior operators on grinding/hobbing operations, deburr gear elements by the use of hand tools, operate shot peen equipment. Perform PGFP & SPGFP measurement process as directed in such as honing, undulations, and be able to Inspect parts using a variety of gear inspection equipment/tools. To be able to perform handwritten documentation, and computer entry documentation. Must be able to follow both written and verbal directions, and have an understanding of basic blueprint and G, D & T , assisting in machine set up, training as required. Need to be able to keep shop appearance clean daily and willing to use an overhead crane, and be willing to apply and follow the FOD policies.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Shot peen machine, peewee grinder, slings, cables, chains, eyebolts, fixtures, nuts, bolts, clamps, steel stamps, etc., file, hammer, wrench, stones, etc., safety glasses, gloves, etc., indicating, micrometers, tooth vernier calipers, combination square, gage blocks, etc. brooms , mops , etc.
Alloy steel, carbon steel, bronze, etc., couplings, gears, pinions, cutting oil, solvent, rags, lay out fluid, etc.
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL MAJOR JOB DUTIES BUT THIS DESCRIPTION DOES NOT PRECLUDE THE PERFORMANCE OF OTHER DUTIES BY THE INCUMBENT, NOR THE QUESTION BEING RAISED ON THE PROPER RATE FOR THE ASSIGNMENT.
1. Receive work assignment from group leader/Supervisor
2. Read and follow safety regulations and procedures and MI package including drawings, change notices, operation sheets, specifications and work authorizations. Oil parts and protect finished journals properly.
3. De bur gear teeth. Take special care not to damage teeth or surrounding surfaces. Protect surrounding surfaces using duct tape.
4. Perform PGFP and SPGFP iterations. This includes taking undulation measurements.
5. Operate , hob inspection equipment and shotpeener.
6. Monitor all areas of shop for accumulation of oil and dispose of propery.
7. Monitor trash cans and dispose of as necessary
8. Provide assistance to higher level gear cutters to set up dual head gear hobbing machines.
9. Check work for conformance to specifications.
10. Make proper time charge entries and record data as required.
11. Maintain tools, equipment and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
12. Relay pertinent job information to employees assigned to the same machines on following shifts.
Position located in Sunnyvale, CA.
This is Union represented position
- High School Diploma/ GED
- Ability to passthe skills evaluationtest
- One or more years of machine shop experience
- Trade School Degree
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top