GBSD - Staff Engineer Tool
- Huntsville, AL
Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking a Staff Engineer Tool. This position will be located in Huntsville, AL and will support the Ground Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) program. Learn more about the GBSD program here
As a part of the Northrop Grumman Space Systems (NGSP) Team, you will work with experts that develop systems and solutions to keep our world safe. Together we protect our troops, public safety, information, and our planet. It's unique work. It's challenging and rewarding. But most of all, its work that makes a difference. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work, and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history. Join us and launch your career.
As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman Space Systems, you are eligible for our robust benefits package including:
• Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
• Educational Assistance
• Life Insurance
• Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
• Paid Time Off
• Health & Wellness Resources
• Employee Discounts
This position's standard work schedule is a 9/80. The 9/80 schedule allows employees who work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday to take every other Friday off.
This position will support all NGSP efforts for the GBSD Program within the Sector Support Business CoE organization.
The Staff Tool Engineer will be a motivated project lead and team player to implement and assist major tooling operations for the program. Typical candidate has a background/experience/education in project management for small and large projects in the manufacturing/mechanical engineering field and coordinating major events that rely on strong planning, leadership and great communication.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Lead and Coordination of design and fabrication requirements for tools and fixtures with customers, both internal and external.
Lead and Coordinate/develop & execute test plans. Performing tolerance analysis to ensure form/fit/function.
Conduct root cause failure investigations and implement associated corrective actions.
Develop & evaluate process improvements. Lead and Assist Product Development Team with new product designs to ensure manufacturability, validate process/technology.
Develop manufacturing processes, plans, and procedures for the fabrication of tools and equipment in support of our process work instructions and visual aids of our shop planning process and other functions that affect product performance.
Lead Managing all phases of project: design, document, fabricate, assemble and validate Core Competencies - Manufacturing Methods - Knowledge of manufacturing, methods, fabrication processes (e.g., forming, stamping, machining, heat treatment, machines/machine tools, cutting tools and fluids, N/C programming, instrumentation, data acquisition and control systems).
The selected candidate will have the ability to select the best method of producing parts, tools or assemblies. Verifiable performance record that includes the various aspects of assembly line operation - Coordination of design and fabrication requirements for tools and fixtures with customers, both internal and external.
Computer Aided Design Tools - Basic knowledge of computer aided design tools and systems (e.g., computer aided design / computer aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM), computer aided three dimensional interactive (NX/CATIA), Mentor Graphics, Unigraphics). Able to manipulate data sets, (e.g., compare CATIA to measurement data, create stereo lithography files). Engineering Drawings & Specs - Basic ability to read, understand, and interpret engineering drawings and specifications. Basic level understanding of GD&T.
• Bachelors degree with 14 years of experience; or a Masters and 12 years; or a PhD and 10 years; or 4 additional years of experience in lieu of a degree. Experience must be in
medium to large scale tooling fabrication and/or production fabrication including composites, metallic, coatings application, and/or production manufacturing operations.
• This position requires a current active DOD Secret clearance with an investigation date/periodic review within the last 5 years, and the ability to obtain a Program Special access within a reasonable period as determined by the company to meet its business needs.
• Ability to understand/read/apply GD&T to a blueprint.
• Experience leading/coordinating 5+ people ranging from fabrication experts to engineering experts
• Experience working with/interfacing with 3D CAD e.g. CATIA, NX, CREO etc.
• Experience managing/coordinating technical projects (Cost, schedule and technical performance).
• Understanding of Coordination of design and fabrication requirements for tools and fixtures with customers, both internal and external
• Ability to communicate with various levels of leadership - Must be able to coordinate and resolve interpersonal and technical problems. Must work well either in a team environment or independently. Ability to work well with little to no supervision.
• Ability to understand and interpret program/project business needs and develop tooling concept and manufacturing process specifications, plans and processes that support those requirements.
• 5 years of experience in Catia or NX, 5 years of experience using ASME Y 14.5 in a design role.
• 5 years of experience in Tool Design
• STEM Degree (Science, Technical, Engineering or Mathematical)
• 5 years of experience in Catia or NX, 5 years of experience using ASME Y 14.5 in a design role
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top