Ferro Ceramic Scientist -- Part Time / Telecommute Possible
Ferro-Ceramic Scientist (Part-Time)
Adaptive Optics Associates, Inc., a wholly-owned Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (NGAS) subsidiary, is currently seeking a Ferro-Ceramic Scientist in support of its Xinetics Business Area. AOA Xinetics designs, develops, and manufactures precision, advanced optical products and systems such as deformable mirrors, adaptive optics control systems and silicon carbide optical structures for the U.S. Government, commercial customers, and U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy and defense ISR and Directed Energy. Several potential direct and adjacent application areas exist also. The Company has substantial growth opportunities in support of many U.S. Government and NGAS business initiatives.
The Ferro-Ceramic Scientist is responsible for the development of ferro-electric ceramics and products while supporting the execution of current projects and programs associated with ferro-electric ceramics. With extensive knowledge of these material types and component technology, this position will also support the development of solutions and systems that use products formed using dielectric/ferro-electric ceramic materials.
The Ferro-Ceramic Scientist will report directly to the AOA Xinetics Manufacturing Manager. This position provides a broad, exciting leadership opportunity in a high-growth, strategically important businesses for NGAS. We are looking for a successful thought leader with exceptional people skills, one who is valued by customers and employees alike. Our ideal candidate has developed teams, can influence and motivate them to perform at higher levels, has excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills; must be highly influential in conversation and have a record of collaborative approach with peers/peer organizations. Specifically, the details of the position are the following:
- Deeply involved in understanding the detailed science of AOA Xinetics PMN-based ceramic actuators.
- Working with internal/external design engineers to create a concise material database and meaningful test criteria to support more efficient models and analysis
- Project work relating to new product introduction
- Address issues which arise as new products transition to full production, especially in support of customer needs
- Responding to production process problems through science based solutions
- Identifying areas for improvement and root causes of any inefficiency in manufacturing. Proposing and implementing improvements for improving process (e.g. cost reduction, quality improvement, and lead time reduction) and increasing predictability of outcomes
- Representing the company directly with customers when required. Effectively communicate progress to customers, senior leadership and companywide audiences.
- Attend meetings, seminars, symposiums and conferences to present technical papers.
- Assist in developing strategic plans and roadmaps, identifying required new capabilities, providing feedback on products, industry trends and customer needs, and fostering partnerships and teaming with key players to support successful proposal bids. Support Business Areas in the development of capture plans; win strategies and Price-to-Win approaches.
- Works closely with AOA Xinetics leadership and compliance functions to ensure full compliance with Division, Corporate, and Government policies.
- Work closely with and collaborate with the Business Area Manager, Program Managers and other technical personnel on quotes, and resolving customer problems.
Working Environment & Physical Demands:
- Position is located in the AOA Devens, MA facility (add note on remote locations as well).
- Travel to customer (military, industry) facilities and offices with limited international travel.
- Travel multiple times per year.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of times and light physical effort required.
- PhD in Material Science and Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- >15 years' experience with ferro-electric ceramic materials
- Clear, concise oral and written communication skills
- Good working knowledge of desktop/laptop computers, MSOffice tools, VPN, MSProject.
- Possess superior analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to gain internal support, operate independently with limited supervision and feedback, and the ability to establish a solid working relationship with technical staff, division managers, and peers in the business areas.
- Conducts oneself with impeccable ethics; leads by example and fosters ethical behavior at all times. Maintains a positive and professional working environment.
- Possess leadership skills to develop, organize and execute significant development activities, including building internal/external teams, assessing risks and opportunities, and executing internal research and development programs to shape business product strategy, in order to respond to and win business with new and existing customers.
- Ability to support new business activities as required.
- An active Secret clearance.
- Expert in the use of scientific numerical / analysis packages (e.g. Matlab, Mathematics, etc.)
- Management of material production and changes using a structured process
- Experience with ceramic manufacturing processes such as tape casting, high temperature furnacing and material characterization
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top