Facilities Construction HVAC Mechanic
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems sector is seeking a Facilities Construction HVAC B Mechanic to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Rolling Meadows, IL.
The maintenance of our facility presents many challenges and provides the opportunity to utilize all of your skills as well as learn new ones. The challenge includes maintaining over three hundred roof top HVAC units, Chillers, Cooling Towers and Boilers. Installing and maintaining electrical controls, sprinkler pipe, compressed air pipe and water pipe fitting, assisting in the installation of acoustical ceiling grid/tile systems and replacement of light fixtures. While HVAC maintenance, troubleshooting and repair is the main focus of this position, you will have the opportunity to use and develop your Plumbing, Sheet metal and Electrical skills. Work assignments are highly varied and require independent judgment and initiative but in a strong team environment.
Specific duties include:
- Assists all other Crew members on any and all tasks including Snow removal when directed by Manager or crew leader.
- Assists HVAC A Mechanic with troubleshooting/repairing equipment, cleaning condenser/water coils, and test for chemical treatment levels in chillers, boilers, and cooling towers.
- Assists in performing preventive/predictive maintenance on all assigned HVAC equipment i.e. Rooftop AC units, wall heaters, unit heaters, water coolers, electric reheat coils, hot water coils,
Humidifiers, and café equipment ect.
- Assists and cross trains with Crew Leads and HVAC A mechanic's on all varied HVAC equipment within campus with the expectation that after a reasonable time (3-4 years) your skills will be reassessed with a possibility of promotion to HVAC A and salary increase to follow
- Receiving and evaluating work requests, investigating and troubleshooting operational problems in a timely and organized manner.
- Must be available for emergency call in after hours and weekends on a rotation basis.
- Providing daily support of all maintenance related assignments and assigned equipment.
- Communicate operational problems to department leadership, complete work orders accurately daily and communicate to crew leads on progress, order required parts and follow up on assigned work.
- Follow safety procedures and practices on all assigned work
Demonstrate skill and knowledge in HVAC, Sheet metal, pipe fitting, and electrical troubleshooting.
Demonstrate skills and knowledge of all types of power tools, refrigeration gauges, recovery machines, scales and Volt ohm meters ect.
10 years' experience in the commercial or industrial large office or factory settings in the HVAC trades
Ability to work overtime and rotate on emergency call list as needed.
Demonstrate some proficiency in any of the following computer programs MS Office, Excel, and Access.
Ability to lift 50LBS and climb ladders.
Active Secret clearance or ability to obtain.
Must have universal EPA certificate for refrigerant usage, Demonstrate knowledge and skills in all of the following HVAC trades… Refrigeration System… low ambient kits, hot gas by-pass all types of freon (R-22, R-11, R134A, R-123, R-410A, R-407C, ect.) Electrical troubleshooting, Economizer system, Building Automation controls, Sheet metal layout and design, and pipe fitting (solder/brazing copper pipe up to 3").
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top