Environmental Engineer (Principal)
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Expand your career through experience and exposure, all the while supporting a mission that seeks to ensure the security and freedom of our nation and its allies.
Join us on the edge.... the Cutting Edge!
Northrop Grumman's Enterprise Services organization has an immediate opportunity to join the Corporate Environmental Remediation (CER) Team as a Principal Environmental Engineer - Remediation Project Manager.
This position reports to the Manager, CER Organization. The incumbent will serve as a member of the CER Team with direct responsibility for the overall project management and success of assigned projects.
Key responsibilities include:
• Develop and oversee overall strategy for assigned remediation sites.
• Deliver presentations and communicate effectively to management on status, strategies, costs, progress and performance, and emerging issues on assigned site remediation projects.
• Act as project team leader and provide management/direction to external resources.
• Charter, direct, coach, monitor and assess consultant and contractor work.
• Execute projects in alignment with project management systems.
• Manage and mobilize or consult with multi-disciplinary teams of specialists, including but not limited to attorneys, government representatives, engineers, scientists, accountants, outreach specialists, and general consultants/contractors.
• Be a key Team contributor with effective collaboration with peer Project Managers.
• Manage projects in accordance with company procedures and assure safe work practices are implemented on site remediation sites.
• Develop and maintain project schedule (Microsoft Project), implement change management and drive remediation progress.
• Develop cost forecasts, manage budgets and approve spending.
• Implement project controls to ensure cost tracking, reasonableness and efficiency.
• Interface and negotiate with regulatory agencies on site strategies and advocate for the company's interests.
• Planning and preparation of scopes of work, request for proposals, and purchase orders, and coordinate with procurement organization.
• Critically review consultant technical deliverables and ensure quality/schedule adherence.
• Estimate project life-cycle cost and maintain financial forecasts.
• Develop site closure/exit strategy and maintain site closure path diagrams.
• Conduct Site Management Strategy and Remedy Selection events.
• Maintain site remediation files in accordance with records management procedures.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a focus in an engineering field (including environmental, chemical, civil, and mechanical) and a minimum of 5 years of working experience in the field of environmental remediation.
• Minimum of 2 years of project management experience.
• Proven environmental remediation knowledge and problem solving experience.
• Must have a solid understanding of CERCLA and RCRA laws and regulations, environmental remediation programs, project management methodologies, chemical/mechanical engineering processes, financial tracking/reporting, agency negotiation, and cost and project controls.
• Keen understanding of organizational structures and customer service delivery.
• Experience in field operations, remedial construction, and environmental testing methodologies.
• Ability to travel to various project locations across the United States.
• MS Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution.
• Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE).
• Project Management Professional (PMP).
• Strong business/financial acumen and experience with financial systems.
• Exhibits adherence to values, high performance, people leadership, customer intimacy, innovation, and strategic value creation.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage workload in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Is action-oriented, works effectively in times dealing with ambiguity, displays command skills, and has a drive for results.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top