Engineering Manager 1: Reliability Analysis Laboratory - Space Systems
- Dulles, VA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today!
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Systems (TSS) is seeking a highly qualified and energetic technical leader for the position of Reliability Analysis Laboratory (RAL) Manager. This position is ideal for a technical manager with a solid technical foundation in electrical, electronic, and electromechanical (EEE) parts and materials analysis. The RAL is a Tactical Space Systems Division center of excellence for the performance of failure analysis investigations to determine the root cause of failures of our flight system components. The RAL is home to a small team of highly talented staff who apply their broad knowledge in the physics of failures to support product development, device and materials characterization, reverse engineering, screening, characterization, and many other activities. This team is engaged at all stages of space system manufacturing and build.
In this role, you will manage the RAL. You will oversee and provide management and technical direction to all activities and personnel in the RAL. It is important that you be able to provide both management and technical leadership to the RAL team. In addition to interfacing with senior leaders on programs and within S&MA, you will forecast and manage the human capital and capital equipment of the RAL. The RAL manager must be able to oversee and be technically involved in failure analysis investigations, technical training, screenings, materials investigations, characterization of materials and components, contamination control, destructive physical analysis, FRB/MRB support, etc. This position requires critical, independent thought as well as the ability to balance multiple competing priorities on a daily basis. Responsibilities also include keeping the RAL well positioned with the latest in investigative and screening technology, equipment, and skill sets. The position reports directly to the Director of Safety and Mission Assurance and will be responsible for maintaining and reporting all metrics associated with the RAL and related activities such as Six Sigma tools.
- BS in an engineering or science field with a strong preference for electrical engineering or materials/chemical engineering
- 5 years of experience in a similar technical laboratory executing the investigative process
- Experience in Failure Analysis
- Must have U.S. Citizenship
- Excellent communication, verbal and written skills.
- Ability to balance technical leadership with management responsibilities.
- MS in an engineering field with a strong preference for electrical engineering or materials/chemical engineering. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- Familiarity with the physics of failures and investigative tools such as: SEM, EDS, X-ray, FTIR, curve tracers, electrical testing, FIB, device de-processing, reverse engineering, etc.
- Familiarity with military specifications, testing of EEE parts (screening and qualification) and mechanical parts.
- Experience with spacecraft hardware and construction.
Back to top