Engineer Systems Architect 5
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is a leading global provider of secure software-defined, hardware-enabled mission systems. Our company is pioneering capabilities in a wide variety of sectors that keep our nation safe from Undersea to Space and Cyberspace.
Northrop Grumman is seeking a systems architect with outstanding leadership skills and hands-on experience in development of sensor payloads and complete mission solutions. This position is looking for a candidate with a deep background in Radar, Electronic Warfare (EW), or Electro-Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) technologies to help develop architectures for future multi-function sensors.
This position is responsible for ensuring the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. This position performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, capability simulations, detail trade studies, requirements allocation, and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware, software, firmware, and integration and test specifications.
The candidate will interface with multiple disciplines including customers, internal executive management, program management, hardware, software, and system engineering, procurement, suppliers, and manufacturing. In addition, the applicant must be able to lead, and report progress for requirements documentation, technical risk management, key system performance parameters, and lessons learned.
The successful candidate will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills and will have a track record as an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The candidate will have an ability to operate in a team environment and collaborate across the sector business areas as required to accomplish the team goals.
Role responsibilities include:
- Performing key systems engineering elements to meet a given program's requirements
- Design and develop sensor system architectures
- Define key capabilities and performance requirements
- Perform functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation, and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications
- Perform system performance modeling
- Provide physics level and mission level modeling subject matter expertise;
- Develop thorough definition of system interfaces; and,
- Guide system implementation approaches for operational concepts.
- Ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
- Develops modifications to existing products to meet unique customer needs, and supports/leads the development of next-generation products within a market segment.
- Leads/oversees technical work products developed by the larger engineering team, supporting design reviews and integration and test activities as needed.
- Supports capture activities, including RFI/RFP preparation, customer presentations and live demonstrations, and competitor analysis.
- Maintains knowledge of current and developing technologies and develops strategies for their insertion into both legacy and next-generation sensors
- Responsible for close customer cooperation to ensure that requirements meet customer expectations
- Presentations to customers and senior management and tailored material based on the audience.
This position will report within the Systems Architectures group supporting the business areas within Northrop Grumman Corporation Mission Systems Sector. The group provides full life cycle mission systems engineering to captures and programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) with at least 14 years of professional experience in a related area; 12 years of experience with a Master's degree; 9 years with a PhD.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in systems engineering and relevant leadership experience with development and/or production program execution
- High proficiency in technical problem solving, to include decomposition, root cause analysis, solution development, implementation and monitoring.
- This position requires a multi-disciplined knowledge in areas related to engineering including systems design, hardware, software and firmware design, integration and test.
- US Citizenship with an active DoD Secret clearance is required.
- Active Top Secret, or TS/SCI with counter-intelligence polygraph.
- RF, Radar, EW, or EO/IR technology background with sensors development and implementation experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top