Engineer Structural 4
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems located in Redondo Beach, CA has an opening for a Structural Analysis Engineer 4.
The selected candidate will support Spacecraft programs and Advanced Technologies and solve complex structural analysis problems for space based platforms and missions involving composite and metallic spacecraft structures. He/she will be responsible for performing structural analyses using classical methods, commercial tools and in-house codes to a variety of structural and multi-disciplinary technical problems.
The candidate will collaborate with design engineers to insure structural integrity. He/she will perform both classical and finite element analysis of spacecraft primary and secondary structures, analysis of bolted and bonded Joints, composite laminate analysis, and analysis of fittings and fasteners.
Duties include leading drawing analysis review and sign-off, presenting results at PDR/CDR meetings and Internal Design Reviews, documenting analysis results, and supporting structural testing with pre-test analysis and authoring of test plans and test reports. Responsibilities will also include leading a work package including interfacing with customer, technical support, proposal technical inputs, cost estimating, directing junior engineers, and meeting schedule and cost commitments.
The candidate will be required to coordinate with other engineering disciplines for analysis inputs and design implementation details, document stress analyses and report results to internal and external customers when necessary. The position requires extensive experience in both Composite and Metallic Structural Analysis.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering, from an accredited university, in a discipline applicable to Structural Analysis.
- 9 years of experience with structural analysis of composite and metallic aerospace structures.
- Extended working knowledge of stiffness analysis, strength analysis, stability analysis, thermal distortion analysis, composite materials analysis, fracture mechanics analysis, and FEA.
- Complete understanding of stress analysis techniques, concepts and practices.
- Extended work experience using industry standard structural analysis software (NASTRAN (MSC & NX), PATRAN, FEMAP, MATHCAD, etc.).
- Must be a self-starter and be able to handle multiple tasks in parallel.
- Experience in working in a spacecraft analysis team environment.
- Experienced in leading a team of engineers
- Current (in scope) SCI or DOD Secret clearance with an investigation within the last 5 years is required.
- Experience in structural test applications is preferred
- Familiarity with CAD application (CATIA / NX) is desirable.
- Experience with advanced manufacturing processes is desirable (non-traditional composites, additive manufacturing, etc)
- Experience working on Special Access Programs is preferred.
- Participation in multiple design and analysis cycles in spacecraft development programs is desirable.
- Current (in scope) DOD Secret and SCI clearances is preferred.
- Previous leadership of a spacecraft structural engineering team is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, be skilled in use of the Microsoft Office software suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top