- Colorado Springs, CO
The Command and Control, Battle Management, and Communications Experimentation Laboratory (C2BMC X-Lab) is a very fast paced and dynamic environment. The X-Lab is responsible for developing and integrating future-capability prototypes for the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS) including Sensor/Weapon Integration, Algorithm Development, User Interface Development and other critical leading-edge missile defense technologies.
This position will focus on and potentially lead the integration of the R&D systems into C2BMC and will contribute to other ongoing X-Lab projects as needed. Including the assessment on how the C2BMC prototype system performs using state vectors, integrating source tracks into the prototype and assessing track processing results, generating and assessing concurrent radar and sensor tracks during M&S and live flight test events, and enhancing experimental prototypes based on results of these activities. The Software Engineer will apply these results to identify and work to enhance C2BMC for future operations. The Software Engineer must possess an understanding of software development processes and principles and be able to communicate the desired capabilities to a diverse group of developers, engineers, subject matter experts, and system users. The Software Engineer should be comfortable with rapidly changing requirements, design challenges that require novel solutions, fast-paced activities, and tight deadlines.
The Software Engineer's primary responsibility is to work as a member of the X-Lab software development team to develop and test innovative solutions in support of X-Lab projects and experiments. Non-standard work hours are highly likely during event execution and a small amount of travel may be required.
The X-Lab has a need to augment the team with a Junior Software Engineer that holds a Secret clearance and possesses demonstrable skills in the following areas:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and 2 years of applicable experience, a master's degree and 0 years of applicable experience.
- An additional 4 years of experience may be substituted for a bachelor's degree.
- Software engineering of new capabilities
- Software development with Java (or other object-oriented language)
- Object-Oriented development principles and patterns
- Generate detailed and repeatable tests
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
The Software Engineer should have demonstrated contributions to object-oriented software development and testing that included the ability to analyze high level needs and defined a structured and logical approach to refine the capability into an integrated set of requirements that led to a fielded product. The Software Engineer should have demonstrated the ability to communicate effectively, clearly present technical approaches and findings, and have experience in writing and implementing engineering plans within a project. Ideally, the Software Engineer will have experience in working on IRAD-type projects.
The following knowledge base and/or skills are desired for the Software Engineer:
- Test driven development and continuous integration
- Software architecture design
- Service Oriented Architecture development principles
- Ability to refactor code for reusability, readability, and maintainability in an object-oriented codebase
- Application deployment, integration, and troubleshooting
- Operating systems experience with Windows & Unix/Linux
- Experience with the Eclipse IDE, Maven, and Git
- Conduct and participate in peer reviews
- Ability to extract data to support analysis
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Implementation of algorithms
- Messaging interface development
- Theory and application of the BMDS
- Theory and application of command and control systems
- Theory and application of track correlation algorithms
- Familiarity with Link-16, including content, transmission rules, etc.
- Experience with COTS and FOSS
- Using the Agile methodology for software develoment
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top