Engineer Software 5
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is currently seeking an Agile Coach, Software Engineer. The location is Fairfax, Va. (This position may also be located in McLean, Va or Baltimore, MD).
The Agile Coach will partner with the Engineering, Sciences, and Technology organization to implement and mentor agile engineering processes, tools, and infrastructure to ensure engineering success driven by unique customer and product requirements. Through the role of an Agile Program Coach, lead programs in their adoption of Agile practices.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the NGMS Agile Center of Excellence as it defines objectives, strategies, and governance for NGMS software and digital technology development.
- Serve as a supporting member of the Agile Community of Practice providing input into plans and provide status on coaching and training as requested
- Develop, maintain, and continuously improving standard agile methodologies, policies, and procedures for an Agile, iterative solution life-cycle, from an executable architecture, concept development, iterative design, production, delivery, deployment, and maintenance
- Understanding the Northrop Grumman Agile Framework is essential along with the responsibility to help grow and mature this NG branded capability
- Consults with programs to gather requirements and best practices to help establish organizational and program-level Agile engineering and management principles and processes to support a range of programs from software intensive systems to hardware and embedded systems.
- Lead the efforts of developing Agile engineering and management best practices, metrics, and audit practices.
- Conduct Scrum team training, product backlog and retrospective workshops, Lean development workshops.
- Analyze and articulate complex subject matter via white papers and presentations, enabling the ease of comprehension by customers and all stakeholders.
- May be requested to provide open enrollment training and backfill other coaching engagements on an as needed basis and engage with the other NG Agile coaches to continue to strengthen their skills and experiences
- Bachelor's degree in a Computer Science or related engineering discipline and 14 years of experience; or MS and 12 years; or PhD and 9 years.
- 10 to 15 years of broad technical experience, with concentration in the design, development, integration, implementation, and operations of complex large-scale information systems and technologies
- Must have a minimum of 5-10 years Agile experience leading teams
- Must have experience implementing Agile principles and practices within DoD or Federal government environments
- Must be a Certified Scrum Practitioner; or Certified Scrum Master/Professional Scrum Master 1 with PMI-ACP certification, or similar.
- Must have 3 years experience giving tutorials and/or training
- Practical experience/knowledge of the following:
o Ability to translate customer mission needs to requirements
o Leading and coaching Agile teams and program in a software systems environment
o Working with customers, program managers, and functional managers to communicate and mentor them in their role in an Agile environment
o End-to-end Agile Engineering experience from across the value stream
o Scrum and Extreme programming practices
- Security Clearance (Secret, Top Secret)
- Demonstrated ability to earn and maintain the respect of strong technical and intelligence mission-oriented staff
- Advanced (MS and/or PhD) technical degree desired
- Effective communicator, capable of effectively translating and presenting complex concepts to both technical and non-technical management and customers, through presentations and written media
- Mastery of systems engineering discipline, to include proven practical experience in the following, preferably for large programs
o Requirements interpretation, definition, and allocation
o Risk identification and mitigation
- Ability to teach, mentor and coach highly skilled technical staff
- Experience with Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS) and their application to agile programs
- Experience with transitioning teams from waterfall to agile methods and practices
- Certification in one or more of these designations is desired:
o Certified Agile Coach
o Certified facilitator
o Certified Product Owner (CPO) ,
o Project Management Professional (PMP)®
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top