Engineer Research Development 4
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) Systems Engineering, Management and Sustainment III (SEMS III) program is offering an exciting career opportunity to support the Air Force Weather mission at Offutt AFB, Nebraska.
NGMS is looking to hire a senior Atmospheric Scientist to evaluate and integrate aerosols into Numerical Weather Models (NWM) for use by military decision advice systems.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Conduct evaluations of existing aerosol modeling systems and make recommendations to improve scientific quality and the efficiency or usability of the data and models.
- Participate on the integration selected aerosol modeling approaches into production.
- Design and evaluate post processing techniques to extract aerosol and cloud parameters from NWM for application in military decision advice models
- Evaluate impact of aerosols on cloud behavior within NWM. Evaluate approaches for aerosol data assimilation and make recommendations on available sensing strategies.
- Participate in program and customer evaluation of options.
- Primary military decision advice model is written in JAVA, so experience with JAVA is also highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in Atmospheric Science and a minimum of 9 years related experience.
- Experience with Aerosol science and modeling
- Computer Languages: Experience with JAVA, IDL and Fortran
- Familiarity with UKMO Unified Model and NOAA’s GFS and FIM-Chem models
- Operating System familiarity (Linux, Windows)
- Research and Development experience
- U.S. citizenship
- DoD Top Secret security clearance eligible
- Software development (numerical methods, scientific prototyping, etc.) in an Agile environment
- Familiarity with weather file formats: GRIB (1 & 2), HDF5, netCDF
- Knowledge of Software engineering principles (architecture, design patterns, OO design)
- Automated testing tools (e.g. Selenium, Cucumber, or TestComplete)
- Toolset familiarity using Mercurial or other distributed source controls, and/or Atlassian toolset (Jira, Confluence, Fisheye, & Crucible)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top