- Brigham City, UT
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems is currently seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to provide talent to our NASA Space Launch System (SLS) Integration Design Engineering team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Design Engineer is responsible for providing Integration Design Engineering for the SLS Booster, Forward Skirt, Frustum, and Systems Tunnel assemblies. Primary responsibilities include creating and revising engineering drawings, specification, test plans, and reports. The engineer will also provide design engineering services on Procurement Control Documents (PCD), Interface Control Documents (ICD), bracketry design, electrical harness routing, tolerance stack-up analysis, manufacturing support, and performing peer reviews. Perform booster level integration tasks of pyrotechnics and range safety system, avionics integration, faying surface close outs, Thermal Protection Systems (TPS), paint and bolted joint designs.
- Integrates using 3D NX models, mechanical & assembly drawings, and specifications in accordance with company standards
- Support mechanical, electrical, and pyrotechnic integration design across the SLS Booster
- Support Material Review Board (MRB) and booster build in Florida
- Prepare test & instrumentation drawings, test plans, reports, and perform tolerance analysis
- Prepare trade studies and milestone review presentations
- Prepare ICD, NxN interaction matrices and Interface Summary Sheets
- Prepare requirement specifications and provide verification reporting.
- Perform preliminary structural analysis
- Design / development experience
- Solid modeling experience (NX is preferred)
- Knowledge of loads and environment analysis
- Structural analysis experience
- Experience with manufacturing processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and proven ability to integrate with other disciplines
- Drafting, drawing preparation, and GD&T skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Candidate must have a minimum of a BS in Mechanical Engineering and 2 years of experience
- Position can be filled one level higher with BS and 5 years experience or MS and 3 years experience
- Knowledgeable and demonstrated experience with NX modeling or similar experience with large (500+ parts) assemblies
- Solid design engineering skill set
- Skilled verbal and written communicator with integration design experience
- One year of experience is highly preferred
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field required.
Back to top