Engineer Product 2
AOA Xinetics (AOX), a Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (NGAS) strategic business unit, is currently seeking a Product Engineer 2 in our East Hartford, CT location. The Product Engineer 2 will be responsible for production support engineering with respect to testing methods, procedures, problem solving, electro-optic assembly specification and yield issues, minor redesign of assemblies, analysis of customer returns, and optimizing device production relative to cost constraints. Assumes responsibility for device transfer from engineering to production and usually responsible for entire device manufacturing operations. They also include:
- Writing engineering documentation such as work orders, assembly procedures, and work instructions.
- Reviewing drawings, developing process flows and assembly sequences and production area layouts for increased efficiency.
- Creating/modifying bills of materials, identifying optimum tools/equipment for accomplishing unique assembly and manufacturing tasks.
- Working with materials management to ensure 100% component tracking from purchase order to shippable product.
- Identifying and performing in-process inspections to improve final yields.
- Working with the Production Manager(s) to properly coordinate subassembly and assembly builds based on materials availability, manufacturing flow, time efficiency, production personnel availability and skill level.
- Working with QA and suppliers to resolve problems related to incoming material to prevent or mitigate impacts to final assembly performance and manufacturing processes.
The qualified candidate must have general understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Provide solutions to a wide variety of technical problems of increasing scope and complexity as assigned. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable, and consistent with organization objectives.
Works under general supervision. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects. Failure to acheive result or inadequated work product should be detected by supervisery oversight but may cause delay in program schedule and aloolcation of additional resources. Primary internal company contacts. Infrequent inter-organization and outside customer contacts on routing matters.
- 2 Years with Bachelors in Science Mechanical or Electrical Engineering; 0 Years with Masters
- Experience with alignment, assembly, bonding, and testing of precision opto-mechanical, fiber optic, micro-optic, and small mechanical components;
- Very detail oriented and has the desire to constantly improve the production environment, processes and documentation;
- Experience assembling bills of materials and writing engineering change orders;
- Some experience working with a materials requirements planning (MRP) system;
- Possess good written and verbal communication skills;
- Be comfortable and work well as part of an integrated team including technicians, engineering peers and principal level engineers;
- High level of proficiency in MS Word and Excel is a must;
- Basic experience with Power Point;
- Ability to read mechanical drawings and understand basic Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing;
- Absolutely must be a self starter and able to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced, highly technical work environment;
- U.S. Citizenship is a bona fide requirement as applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation
- Master of Science in Optical, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or Physics; 2 years experience
- Experience with fiber optic components, splicing, and connectors is a significant plus;
- Experience with MS Access;
- Past experience or some involvement with materials planning;
- Active TS Clearance within last two (2) years.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top