Engineer Mechanical 3
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Mechanical Design 3 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Azusa, CA.
Position involves the Mechanical Design and Integration (MDI) of space based hardware such as payloads and spacecraft. In this role, the candidate will coordinate with the project team to develop project specific mechanical design solutions, develop and specify components conforming to engineering and purchasing standards and create detailed drawings of components and assemblies for manufacturing. Investigates pertinent design factors such as availability of materials and equipment, interchangeability, replace ability, strength-weight efficiency, critical clearances, harness routing, contractual specification requirements and cost. Coordinates with other organizations affected by design development. Makes layouts of complex assemblies and details parts of devices, mechanisms, and structures. Candidate may also design major components or major portions of a functional system to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations.
- B.S. degree in a STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- 6 years of experience in mechanical design
- Experience with 3-D CAD modeling tools (CREO, Pro/E, CATIA V5, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc.)
- Previous experience in design and fabrication of spaced based hardware
- Familiarity with Geometric Design and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Ability to obtain a DoD Secret clearance
- M.S. degree in mechanical design
- Familiar with Integration and Test (I&T) of space vehicle subsystems and systems/elements
- Experience with layout of large-scale assemblies for space and/or launch subsystems and systems/elements, including cable routing/mylar, optical trains, waveguides, antennas, etc.
- Experience with mechanical configuration drivers for space subsystems and systems/elements:
- FOV and FOR
- Vignetting and occlusion
- Vent path and rate
- Deployable assemblies, booms, arrays, etc.
- Design for Manufacture/Assembly
- Various lines for ordnance, purge, propulsion, and other functions
- Jitter mitigation
- Alignment budgeting and design, qualification and acceptance
- Survivability design practices
- System and personnel safety
- Expert in mass properties management for space subsystems and systems/elements
- Contingency and margin management
- CG compliance, MOI, POI
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience with Patran/Nastran
- Active DoD Secret clearance or higher
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top