Engineer Mechanical 2
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems sector is seeking an Engineer 2 to support a growing Weapons Integration Integrated Product Team (IPT) in Redondo Beach by performing physical weapons integration mechanical design and analysis tasks. The individual must have good team collaboration skills, good writing and documentation skills, and willing to give briefings and presentations to both internal and external customers. Some travel is required (10% - 15%).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing 3D virtual weapon to aircraft fit check clearance analysis using 3D solid models via CATIA V5 and Visualization Mockup.
- Entering CATIA V5 models and supporting documentation into the program Product Data Management (PDM) database and verifying 3D models are accurately converted and properly displayed in the Visualization Mockup environment.
- Analyzing weapon deflections due to aircraft induced flight loads, vibration and oscillation.
- Performing physical weapon to aircraft fit checks where actual inert weapon flight test assets are physically loaded and installed onto an actual aircraft and measurements are recorded to verify previous virtual analysis results.
- Performing weapon maintainer/loader access analysis to ensure adequate volume exists for a load crew to physically install/remove weapons, as well as perform related tasks such as mating aircraft to weapon cables, attaching weapon lanyards, adjusting weapon and/or S&RE settings, etc.
- Creating weapon stay out volumes to ensure adequate volume is allocated for safe carriage and release of weapons without contacting aircraft.
- Creating stay out volumes to ensure adequate volume is allocated to accommodate weapon suspension and release equipment (S&RE).
- Creating stay out volumes to ensure adequate volume is allocated to safely accommodate weapon load crew personnel (including volume for hands, arms, head, torso, etc., as well as line of sight visibility).
- Coordinating fit check analysis results with other IPTs and assisting with the resolution of any weapon, S&RE or maintainer access clearance issues.
- Writing reports to document both virtual and physical fit check analysis.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 2 years engineering experience on aircraft systems.
- CATIA experience in mechanical design.
- Active DoD Secret Clearance is required.
- Background in analyzing deflections due to flight loads, vibration, and oscillation.
- Ability to work with multiple technical disciplines.
- Excellent communication, documentation, presentation and team collaboration skills.
- A minimum of 4 years of engineering experience.
- Background in weapon systems.
- Engineering experience in military aircraft systems.
- Master's Degree or PhD in Engineering.
- Familiarity of PDM and Visualization Mockup.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top